Broody hen doing her thing

Day 15! I've been so good. I haven't disturbed her except to give her a fresh nest once. She comes out to eat, drink and potty once a day. Boy, do we know when she is off the eggs. She makes a huge racket, scratching, talking and puffed up. Haha
Next weekend should be time. We shall see if all 5 will hatch and what we get. So excited 🙃😄

Day 15! I've been so good. I haven't disturbed her except to give her a fresh nest once. She comes out to eat, drink and potty once a day. Boy, do we know when she is off the eggs. She makes a huge racket, scratching, talking and puffed up. Haha
Next weekend should be time. We shall see if all 5 will hatch and what we get. So excited 🙃😄
Sounds like things are going well 👍. Update with pics when they hatch!

Ok, so today we had another hen cannibalize her eggs. She got 2 beautiful chicks. And was really trying to get back in for the others. I now separated them with make shift chicken wore until I can fashion something stronger. I'll attach some pics. Ugh, not great, but we have 3 left. Hoping they all hatch and are viable. No signs of injury to the other shells

The loss, the house and the separate area.

Attachments

• 20200824_173624.jpg
    20200824_173624.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200824_173824.jpg
    20200824_173824.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200824_173905.jpg
    20200824_173905.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 20
i have a broody silkie that is sitting on 3 fertile eggs, this morning i found one of her fertile eggs broken..dont know what happened, the yoke part was in her nesting box but the shell remains we about 12" away in another part of the coop...should i be concerned...she has a buddy that has been by her side the entire time she has been sitting on the eggs we are on day 10 now...i have shut out all the other chickens from the coop so just the 2 are in there now with feed and water

i have a broody silkie that is sitting on 3 fertile eggs, this morning i found one of her fertile eggs broken..dont know what happened, the yoke part was in her nesting box but the shell remains we about 12" away in another part of the coop...should i be concerned...she has a buddy that has been by her side the entire time she has been sitting on the eggs we are on day 10 now...i have shut out all the other chickens from the coop so just the 2 are in there now with feed and water
I'm not sure exactly what is best here. If it was my hen, I'd probably speared the broody out to be alone, just to be safe. It's what I did when I had the 2 losses a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom