broody hen- eggs hatching

Bec82

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2020
Hi my broody has been sitting on eggs for 21 days and we looked under her today and one is starting to hatch! I'm assuming we just leave her to it? is it normal that she's still sitting on the eggs? how will they get out? sorry if these are really dumb questions! first timer

Hi my broody has been sitting on eggs for 21 days and we looked under her today and one is starting to hatch! I'm assuming we just leave her to it? is it normal that she's still sitting on the eggs? how will they get out? sorry if these are really dumb questions! first timer
Yay! Just leave her totally alone. You can peek in to make sure she's not attacking it once it hatches, but that's pretty rare. Yes, she needs to sit on them until the last viable egg hatches (which she knows and will do) to keep them all warm. The chicks will not starve. The chicks might start to get up and wander around after a day or two, but they're fine. They'll go back to mama. She'll lead them out to eat and drink when she's ready. Then you can remove any leftover eggs. Just in case, always candle any remaining eggs. Very rarely one may still be alive.
The chick will probably be hatched in 24 hours. The mother will assist it if need be. Broodies are very good at hatching/raising chicks. Trust her. Is she a first timer? Is she separated from your other hens? Broodies should always be separated from the flock for the first week.

thank you so much for your reply. Yes its her first time too. She's under a year old but has gone broody twice already. You have answered all our questions thanks again

Back
Top Bottom