broody hen had rotten eggs

technoagrarian

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
is it possible for a hen to remain broody long enough to hatch chicks when I've had a hen try to hatch some eggs and two weeks into laying on them she's crushed most of them and some have rotted? Or should I just give up and move on?

So are these eggs that were in the rotten egg nest?
How many days in are they?
Have you candled them?
I assume the crushed eggs were removed from the nest ASAP.

If rotten egg gunk got on the other eggs they are at serious risk of bacteria getting in.

So are these eggs that were in the rotten egg nest?
How many days in are they?
Have you candled them?
I assume the crushed eggs were removed from the nest ASAP.

If rotten egg gunk got on the other eggs they are at serious risk of bacteria getting in.
  • These eggs that were in the nesting box were found to be rotten
  • They were about 14 days in
  • I candled the two that I could see that remained of the 8 and there was some indication of darkness.
I did remove the egg shells that I saw. My hen tonight had gotten into another nesting box and had 3 eggs under her. I removed those eggs from her because I read online that she's going to remain broody for 21 days and for some reason I had doubts since she remains broody for up to 6 weeks after her chicks hatch to protect them as I've had her broody before and allowed her to try raising some chicks before and they disapppeared presumably by a snake. So my wondering is if I placed more eggs under her would she remain broody to hatch those or would that effort be in vain?

If it's the same broody hen and she already sat at least 2 weeks I would not give her fresh eggs to try.
It would mean she would be setting for at least 5 weeks. That is really hard on them.

Have you seen a broody breaker cage?

Back
Top Bottom