Broody hen has eaten 3 eggs

hannahjane2112

Hatching
Jan 15, 2016
Hi there,

This is my first time posting on BYC although I have visited this site many times to read other people's experiences with their chooks! Now I have a question about my broody hen and any advice will be appreciated.

My white Leghorn went broody and last Saturday we moved her to her own brooding box and gave her 10 fertile eggs. Today I was doing some research and read that if your hen hasn't been eating you should make her get up and eat, I wasn't sure whether she was eating but I did move her and found only 8 eggs under her. When she went back to the eggs after eating and drinking, she accidentally stepped on one and it broke. She went crazy and dove onto it and gobbled it up, shell and all. So this is actually the third egg she's eaten in one week. Does this mean she will probably eat all the eggs eventually? And if a few do end up hatching, do you think she'll care for the chicks or would she kill them too? This is the first time I've had a broody hen and I don't know what to do. :(

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

A broody leghorn, you don't hear about those too often as it's not a breed that's prone to it. All broody hens will eat a cracked or broken egg to clean up the nest, so that's normal, her clumsiness is a problem, she will continue to eat any she breaks, ten could be too many for her as that's a lot of eggs, I like clutches of around 6. She may break less as there becomes less eggs.

All hens are different as far as caring for the chicks they hatch, most take care of them, some will try to kill them, I always try to be present at hatching time in case I have to step in, you should always have a back up plan in case you end up raising them. Sorry I can't be more definite.

I did have one broody hen that ate a few of her eggs while she was sitting. I made sure to force her off the nest every single day to eat and drink after I noticed the missing eggs. She did not turn into an egg eater. She turned out to be a real ditz of a mother though. She couldn't keep track of her chicks, and she had no clue that she needed to let them warm up occasionally. She accidently ran over one chick when she charged an overly curious flock mate. She's not allowed to brood anymore.

I did have one broody hen that ate a few of her eggs while she was sitting. I made sure to force her off the nest every single day to eat and drink after I noticed the missing eggs. She did not turn into an egg eater. She turned out to be a real ditz of a mother though. She couldn't keep track of her chicks, and she had no clue that she needed to let them warm up occasionally. She accidently ran over one chick when she charged an overly curious flock mate. She's not allowed to brood anymore.
I think we have all had one of those, good description.

Back
Top Bottom