Broody Hen hatched chicks in laying box about 3ft off the ground

spbaz

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
We had a broody hen and a rooster in our flock, so on Mothers Day I decided to let her sit on some eggs, and see what happened. We have a rather large chicken coop with 3 laying boxes that are about 3 ft off the ground. I didn't do my research and move her right when she started, and now she has hatched at least one chick in the high up laying box. She is sitting on 6 eggs that I candled the other night and it seems like they all have chicks inside of them. The chickens are free range, so the other 5 hens and 1 rooster are out an about today. I am wondering when I should move the hen, chick, and rest of the eggs. I don't want her to abandon the rest of the eggs before they hatch, but I also do not want the chicks that have hatched to fall out of the laying box.
I do have an isolated area of the chicken coop that we have raised chicks in many times before, but those chicks we had always bought and they spend their first few weeks inside our house in the basement, with a heat lamp on them.
I think I should move the mother hen and the chicks and remainder of eggs to the brooder area, but when? I don't want her to get mad and leave the rest of the eggs behind!

I had this problem a few years ago. I spent an entire day, in my nightgown, trying to insure no chicks fell out the nest to the floor below. After we had complete darkness that night, DH and I quickly and carefully move Mom, chicks and unhatched eggs to a broody box.
The hen was sitting on 10 eggs and hatched 8, we moved about 5 chicks and 5 eggs that night. And all worked out well. Good luck and let us know how it all works out for you.

So I had my husband help me and we took the one baby chick and the other 5 eggs she is sitting on and moved them I to a new nesting box in the brooder. The little chick walked around a bit but the hen sat right down on the rest of the eggs and then slid the little chick back under her also. She has been sitting in her new space for a few hours now and all seems good. She has closer access to food and water in the brooder and there is a chick waterer and chick scratch in there for her and her new little babies. Now it is just a waiting game to see if the other 5 hatch. I candles them the other day and they all seemed full of chicks so here’s hoping we get a few more! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 34C8C8F6-8ECE-4F5C-B625-1535B8E97DDC.jpeg
    34C8C8F6-8ECE-4F5C-B625-1535B8E97DDC.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom