1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen hatched eggs in Nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rwill26615, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rwill26615

Rwill26615 New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Well today, my hen hatched her eggs in the nesting box which is well above the ground. Should I move them to a crate (like day old chicks) or just leave them alone? I worry the babies will fall from the nest and there are still a few eggs that have not hatched. ANy advice is appreciated!! (First time chicken granny) [​IMG]

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    I would move them, becuase after 3 days they will need food and water. and i might be tough for them to get down. so ya i would crate them up (with food and water) untill they can flap thier wings and stuff, then the will be ok to just let momma hen take care of them [​IMG] glad i could help!

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I moved my chick and hen out of the nest after one day so I don't see why you can't do it to.

4. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I left one of my broodies in a nest box when she was hatching out. A few hatched out one evening, and when I checked on them in the morning, several had climbed out of the nest box while momma was still busy hatching out the rest. I found 4 on the floor of the coop, unable to return to momma; they were cold, but 3 of the 4 made it. If I had it to do over again, I would have moved her to the ground right when the first ones started hatching (or before).

5. Rwill26615

Rwill26615 New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    thank you everyone for your advice. I was afraid that if I touched the babies, mama hen wouldn't want to have anything to do with them. Well...This morning I went to check on them and sure enough, I should have moved them last night. One of them dropped from the nesting box and died [​IMG] mama hen was protecting her on the floor and left the others exposed in the nexting box. So, I moved mama, babies, and eggs into an old dog crate on the floor in the hen house so she could be with her babies and have some privacy. I even put cardboard around the crate so the other hens and rooster wouldn't peck at them. they are sooo cute! I gave them some chicky food and water and they are running around all crazy. I see their are 3 more in the shells that are trying to peck their way out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by