Broody hen...help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dwegg, Jan 5, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you do when a girl gets broody? I just got back from being away (neighbors were looking after the girls) and my BO is broody!

This is my first time with a broody chicken. I have read a few things about being broody and what to do...soooo, I put on my gloves [​IMG] because I knew she wouldn't be happy and go peacefully (yes, i am new to chickens). I picked her up (and yes she wasn't happy) and took her out to the run and put her on the ground and removed the eggs. She just sat there so i picked her up and threw her (gently) out of the run to free-range with the others. Straight away she came in ate some food and treats and drank some water so i worried how long she hadn't eaten or had water.

But after a little while of free-ranging with us she went back in to the nest. I picked her up again and took her back out to try and eat some more food esp. cracked corn scratch as it is freezing here and I wanted her to be warmer that night but all she wanted to do was get back on the nest?

I don't have a rooster and I am worried about her because...

1. she is sleeping in the nesting box alone and not with the others for warmth (it is and has been below freezing here - like everywhere else atm!)

2. she is not getting out to eat and drink.

3. and apparently there has been no eggs laid since she has been broody and I have 4 boxes for 7 girls? does this effect the others to not lay?

How do i stop her? and is it usual for hens not to eat or drink when hatching eggs? Should I have some food and water near her? or make her get out to get some?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Put her on a wire bottomed cage with no bedding for a few days..she will give up!

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

put her in a cage by herself with a wire floor? so i isolate her from the rest? for a few days! seems very mean.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    that's not mean...what's mean is allowing her to sit on unfertilized eggs.

They are right, you will have to isolate her in a cage without any nesting..she'll stop in about a week.

5. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    You can always get some fertile eggs for her to sit on... It is so fun to watch a momma hen with babies.

One time we got some "day old" chicks (probably 4 days old) and gave them to a broody hen and the hen snapped right out of it and raised the chicks... but the chicks have to be as young as possible... like right out of the hatchery. We tried this again another time with a chick that was a few days older and it did not work.

Or you can lock her out of the nest she wants to go to.

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Wouldn't you have to bring her in out of the cold if she's going to be isolated? It bitter cold here too and I can't imagine her being able to stay warm enough especially with no bedding at night alone??? I'm new too and I tend to see my girls as pets so maybe I'm less farmy? I have BO girls too and I just can't wait for one of mine to go broody b/c I will be buying fertilized eggs sooo fast to plop under her!!! There's always two ways to look at things! Even if you don't want more chicks you could always sell them or give them alway for that matter and she could do her:jumpy Mommy thing!Blessings,Keri PS. My one girl enjoys laying on these wooden eggs and she rearranges them and tucks all of the hay around her just right! I think it's great that she's practicing for when the real day comes![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by