Broody hen how long

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hispoptart, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    How long will a hen remain broody? Naughty-naughty has been at for 5 days now and I am thinking of buying some fertil eggs for her, but I am afraid if I order some she will quit before they get here.

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    About 3 weeks.

Having said that, you have nothing to lose by ordering those eggs and putting them under her. The very worst that would happen is that the eggs don't hatch. The very best that is going to happen is, you get chicks! Depends on whether you think the cost of fertilised eggs justifies the experiment.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Some hens try and stay broody for longer than three weeks. A month or more isn't uncommon. They can be quite determined. I 'broke' a broody by slipping some chicks under her. She'd been broody for at least five weeks and wasn't looking like giving up.

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    na alot of hens rarely give up some will stay till they die some only 2 weeks some three some will go by wat they feel under them concerning chick development etc etc

5. mrfinnegan

mrfinnegan New Egg

Jun 15, 2012
    Hah, I had to laugh when I saw your photo....... I have a Maran and she is called Baggage, she was going to be NoNo because she is so Naughty Naughty!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by