Broody hen in eggs alone in coop - too cold?

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
One of my girls went broody - she’s an Austra white and the smallest chicken - and has been sitting in the nest box with six eggs for almost two weeks. We were having issues with the others laying eggs in with her, and after trying several things got a second coop for the others to lay in, but for warmth planned on having them sleep all together (we have Eglu coops). Anyway nobody has used the new coop until tonight when they all went to bed there, leaving my broody alone. Temps will go down to 18. The coop has an insulating jacket, but I’m worried the body heat of just one will not be enough as the coop is meant for up to 6 full sized hens (we have 5). Should I move them across? How cold is too cold in the coop? I have a thermometer in there which I can read remotely. Many thanks!

Ok thank you - I was worried about her being alone. I do wish she’d waited a little to go broody 😂
I have a few bantams that are already broody. Some are persistent.

If and when your hen hatches you may want to separate her anyways for the chicks safety. I haven't raised chicks in the colder months so I'm unsure if any extra heat would be needed when they hatch. I would think mom could keep them warm enough. Chickens are very warm critters.

I have a few bantams that are already broody. Some are persistent.

If and when your hen hatches you may want to separate her anyways for the chicks safety. I haven't raised chicks in the colder months so I'm unsure if any extra heat would be needed when they hatch. I would think mom could keep them warm enough. Chickens are very warm critters.
Thank you - yes, she's chosen the worst moment as we're currently expanding the run so of course it's total chaos 😂

Back
Top Bottom