Broody hen in the regular coop with rooster

spruett386

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
I have a broody BCM hen sitting on 7 eggs I would like for her to hatch. This is in a coop with 5 nest boxes and I don't think any other hens are going in her box with her nor is any other hen broody. I have 9 hens. My LS rooster is a decent guy so far, but I have never seen him interact with chicks. I am wondering about people's successes/failures having a roo in the coop with his offspring and raising chicks with their dad. TIA

Attachments

• 20210503_151635.jpg
    20210503_151635.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210505_233349.jpg
    20210505_233349.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I had success twice (100%) w hens hatching and brooding chicks with two roosters in the coop and another rooster from another flock that free ranged with them. No prob. But it probably depends of a lot of different factors.

This is what I'm hoping will happen, but there are horror stories, too... just wanting to hear people's experiences. Tha k you for sharing. Were your roos good daddies? Did they protect the chicks? Find food, etc? How did they behave towards them?

They kind of ignored them until they began to mature, they all get along atm.🤞the moms kind of kept them on the outskirts of the flock until they were a little bigger. They would hang out under some fallen branches a lot so the roosters would leave the uninterested hen alone.With one batch I had another hen take over the chicks part time and she has never even been broody, that was very cute.

Back
Top Bottom