Broody hen keeps changing boxes...

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
I have two hens that went broody on the same day last week. One seems like she has all the good traits of a broody mom. The other gets feisty and protective, but changes boxes every day!! She is leaving the original eggs behind, and I keep putting them back under her. We are leaving town and will have a house sitter looking after the chickens and other pets, and I don't think anyone will be as concerned about these little eggs trying to grow as me. Should I just give her eggs to the mama who is taking good care of her clutch, and let her do whatever while we're away? Thanks in advance!

Should I just give her eggs to the mama who is taking good care of her clutch, and let her do whatever while we're away?

That's probably the best choice. Just make sure the good mother does not have so many eggs they stick out and get cold.

You could make a nice clutch of fake eggs in one other nestbox, so the sort-of broody has a place to sit (if she wants to) without disturbing the good one. Fake eggs won't go bad the way real ones do if she keeps moving ;) ("Fake eggs" could be golf balls, or egg-shaped rocks, or actual wood/ceramic/plastic things sold as fake eggs. As long as it's about the right size and shape, the hens don't care.)

The good mama is a Blue Copper Marans, and the switcher is a crazy barnyard mix. The BCM has about 6 eggs under her, and the other only has 2. They went broody the same day.

As far as the house sitter goes, I think I will mark the eggs that have been incubating and call it good at that, so she can collect anything not marked and/or not under the BCM.

Back
Top Bottom