Broody hen keeps going back to main nest

Nibarlan

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2019
South Georgia, USA
Long story short we've got a broody hen that we're going to try to give some chicks to.
Our main nest box is not a good place for chicks. The fact that the other hens use it aside, it's got a massive lip and perch that leads to the coop then there's a ramp that lead to the run where the food and water is located. We worry that might just be a little much to navigate. We've tried moving her several times at night to a new nest in the coop as well as a new nest box (enclosed and private) in the run, but she always ends up back in the main nest box. I'm glad we aren't trying to hatch eggs or those poor things would be long gone lol. Any suggestions? I have a feeling she is just dead set on staying in that nest box.

We are of course prepared to just raise them in a brooder box if need, but that's not plan A.

My broody hen, Maggie, usually chooses a nest that is on the second level of our 3 level nesting boxes. I leave her there to incubate the eggs. When they hatch I let her stay there until they are dry and then I move them to a nest box on the floor! Because she is a great mom, she will accept the move and continue to raise the chicks. She WILL NOT move from the second level box until her eggs are hatched. Maybe try leaving her until you have chicks???

nest boxes left side.jpg

Put a fence/wire wall around her so she can't get back to main nests.
How long has she been broody?
When will you get the chicks?

A couple weeks, we're getting chicks this weekend.

My broody hen, Maggie, usually chooses a nest that is on the second level of our 3 level nesting boxes. I leave her there to incubate the eggs. When they hatch I let her stay there until they are dry and then I move them to a nest box on the floor! Because she is a great mom, she will accept the move and continue to raise the chicks. She WILL NOT move from the second level box until her eggs are hatched. Maybe try leaving her until you have chicks???

View attachment 2054359

I think I'll try that, the other hens don't seem to have a problem getting in the nest box to lay(it's a large shared one) so she's not really disrupting anything for now. I just know it will be difficult for the chicks to get in and out.

Back
Top Bottom