Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
Hen started incubating 10 eggs a week ago
Nov 12 she laid an egg and started incubating eggs
Nov13 there was 10 eggs

Today when she was outside
I checked the nest and it has 11 eggs 😓

My questions
What is the reason behind unfertilised eggs ?
Her previous hatch (4 eggs were raw when i cracked them at day 22)

I think the she laid it on nov14
Will she sit on nest till it hatches ??
I heard hens can sense which egg is viable ( Is that true ?? )

She's not laying. Another hen has come in and laid an egg. Candle the eggs and take out the new egg, as well as the infertile or dud eggs.

It's a good idea to mark the viable eggs with a pencil. Then you can take out any unmarked eggs that have been freshly laid in the nest. Which stops you having chicks hatching days apart.

If she's sat this far, she should sit until she thinks they have all hatched. She will continue to sit on the eggs up to a couple days after the first hatchling, regardless of viability.

If you're getting a lot of infertile eggs, your cockerel might be having trouble covering all of your hens.

After hatching, she will decide when she can't sit anymore on the eggs because the chicks need all her attention.
What breed of hens do you have?
What breed is your rooster?
She was given to me by my aunt ( after her mom weaned her about 8-10 weeks )
I dont know her breed.
I think she is a bantam mix
20200930_152249.jpg

She's not laying. Another hen has come in and laid an egg. Candle the eggs and take out the new egg, as well as the infertile or dud eggs.

It's a good idea to mark the viable eggs with a pencil. Then you can take out any unmarked eggs that have been freshly laid in the nest. Which stops you having chicks hatching days apart.

If she's sat this far, she should sit until she thinks they have all hatched. She will continue to sit on the eggs up to a couple days after the first hatchling, regardless of viability.

If you're getting a lot of infertile eggs, your cockerel might be having trouble covering all of your hens.
I didnt have a rooster at that time
So I let her mate with neighbour rooster
That rooster had already a dozen hens with him
And that play boy rooster kept raoming with her and mate with her
He was responsible for that bad hatch rate
6 eggs were unfertilised
He made me raise my own rooster 😂

Last edited:
Today is day 7
I candled all eggs
I think 2-3 eggs are like this
In thers i saw veins and dark area