Broody hen messing up my hatch??

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I have 2 hens that are broody. They sit in the nest boxes all day and I collect eggs at night. Now, I was collecting to set eggs and yesterday was day 8 or 9 for them and I had to toss about 3/4 of my eggs from that pen! :hit Some looked scrambled, some looked like they started but stopped developing very, very early. My last hatch from that pen was okay, and my other pen with no Broodies did good last batch and has a good rate of development so far.
Could those hours during the day under the broody hens have messed up the hatch?? One hen has been broody for 2 months! Her mother is broody too, but only for a couple weeks. I was hoping a few hours under the hens would be okay, and I did collect during the day if I had the chance.

My eggs were stored for no more then a week.
This was a full rack of eggs! :hitNearly all the eggs tossed were from my #2 pen.
623F562E-D5B2-471A-BC1C-E55A1CA36EF4.jpeg

and even some of the ones I left I doubt will hatch. But I left them just incase...

If she's been broody for 2 months why not just let her hatch the eggs? Just be sure to collect them every day so they don't have any chance of beginning development before you're ready. Maybe an expert will know more...

If she's been broody for 2 months why not just let her hatch the eggs? Just be sure to collect them every day so they don't have any chance of beginning development before you're ready. Maybe an expert will know more...
I thought about letting her hatch them but I don’t have a safe place for a broody to do her thing and not be disturbed. She has withered away to nothing and I can’t let her sit any longer. I’d rather her move on and start laying again. I’d really like to hatch chicks from her too! She’s a nice hen but her broodyness has selected her out of the gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom