Broody hen moving 2 eggs out of nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by finlay225, May 29, 2017.

1. finlay225

finlay225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Hi all, just wanting a bit of advice! We put 9 eggs under my broody brown leghorn hen 3 days ago, and from day 1 she has been moving 2 of the eggs out of the nest. I did put them back a few times but decided to discard them today. Just wondering why she might have been doing this? And what to do if she does this again? I have incubated eggs before but this is the first time that I have put eggs under a broody hen, so any advice will be very gratefully received.
    Many thanks Nicola

2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Chicken Obsessed

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    She probably noticed they were either not fertile or something wrong with the chick.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    that's correct. a hen can tell if an egg is not good. I think it has to do with the eggs ability to come up to temperature.
    that is just my observation.
    did you open the eggs to see what was inside ?
    in the future, if a hen does this and it is past two weeks of incubation. float test the eggs. just float them in warm water. if there is something live inside, the egg will wiggle noticeably.

........jiminwisc......

The Angry Hen likes this.
  4. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    ;)

5. finlay225

finlay225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Aw thanks for your replies. The eggs are only on day 3, and I didn't break the discarded eggs, just didn't expect her to be moving 2 out from the first day. Fingers crossed with the others. I'm sure that i'll have a lot more questions to ask later! Thanks again Nicola

6. The Angry Hen

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Your welcome! I hope everything goes well for you!
    -The Angry Hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by