Broody hen moving 2 eggs out of nest?

finlay225

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2016
Hi all, just wanting a bit of advice! We put 9 eggs under my broody brown leghorn hen 3 days ago, and from day 1 she has been moving 2 of the eggs out of the nest. I did put them back a few times but decided to discard them today. Just wondering why she might have been doing this? And what to do if she does this again? I have incubated eggs before but this is the first time that I have put eggs under a broody hen, so any advice will be very gratefully received.
Many thanks Nicola

that's correct. a hen can tell if an egg is not good. I think it has to do with the eggs ability to come up to temperature.
that is just my observation.
did you open the eggs to see what was inside ?
in the future, if a hen does this and it is past two weeks of incubation. float test the eggs. just float them in warm water. if there is something live inside, the egg will wiggle noticeably.

........jiminwisc......

Aw thanks for your replies. The eggs are only on day 3, and I didn't break the discarded eggs, just didn't expect her to be moving 2 out from the first day. Fingers crossed with the others. I'm sure that i'll have a lot more questions to ask later! Thanks again Nicola

Back
Top Bottom