Broody hen not giving up.

For my broody, I ended up getting a dozen eggs from a friend who has three roosters. I replaced the infertile eggs with the new eggs by putting a towel over her head so she couldn't see, lifting her up, and switching the eggs. I was surprised at how calm she was through the whole procedure. This was a few days ago, and she hasn't budged. I can't wait for Day 21!

Hi
I posted a plea for assistance re broody hens over a month ago when I was well into 3 weeks with one broody and another had joined the club, and yet another later in a couple of weeks. Not much sensible guff came through from BYC forum. Comments like it's hormones; okay yeah. Cheers, thanks for that. Well, I reread Gail Storey's Raising Chickens on broody behavior and reckoned just to wait them out, get out there break them up -- lift them off/out of the nesting area as often as you can manage. Finally last week, and believe me it was 6-7 weeks for one hen who was getting very light from not feeding properly, but I persisted in getting her off the nest at least 3X/day so she would feed and water for a little while until she belted back to the nest; and now, bingo, I noticed that all four were out mooching around last week. Today big break through is that I've got 3 eggs. One stolid hen was working steadily through the blockage in the nesting boxes and laying regularly. Heaven knows how she managed it. Must have streaked for the nesting box when I lifted the others out for an airing. Good advise from GS. Try to be vigilant and lift them off so they can feed and water. Don't muck about with slipping them eggs, or day old chicks in the dead of night. Bound to end in tears unless you've got so many hens that it might work for you or you are a Chicken Whisperer. It obviously takes time for broody hens to get back to laying, so be patient. I'm waiting for the last hen who went broody to get back on the job and I reckon she'll come through in a couple of days.

Well, this is all very anecdotal and based on observation.

Happy days. Dinah

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I wouldn't knock the people here at BYC. They usually have the most wonderful advice. I don't post often, but I have read tons of great posts from people who care and are just trying to help. You will get conflicting answers some times, but what works for one may not work for another. People are only trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom