Broody Hen problem

but even when she's in the cage she will still try and sit on invisible eggs. She doesn't stand up in the cage she sits down in the cage
In your pic above(post #16) the crate is not up off the ground.
You'll either have to put smaller wire on the bottom,
or turn crate upside down,
and raise it up onto some 4x4's (or similar).
See my pic in Post #4.

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Do you think a dog kennel would be sufficient to break my hen of being broody within 48 hours or would it take longer?

Back
Top Bottom