Broody hen problem !!!!!!

For 1 night? I'd start breaking her in a crate (assuming you don't want to hatch) and you can deal with checking if she's broken or not after you get back.

Make sure food and water are well secured in the broody breaker, broodies tend to throw everything around!
update..she went out this morning and still hasn't gone back to the box. I collected the egg that she last had this morning. idk if it's hers or my Plymouth. maybe she was just mad at me for waking her up and sticking my hand under her?? idk so far she seems not broody.

update..she went out this morning and still hasn't gone back to the box. I collected the egg that she last had this morning. idk if it's hers or my Plymouth. maybe she was just mad at me for waking her up and sticking my hand under her?? idk so far she seems not broody.
Hopefully she isn't just so you don't need to worry about her while you're away.

I've got an Orpington who goes broody. She just started that again since her babies are nearly 5 months old. She doesn't get mean or peck but she won't come out of the nesting box until I lift her out. Then she drinks, eats, and runs around flapping until she decides it's time to go back in the box again. I worry about her because when she's broody she loses weight fast and can get dehydrated. If your friend is nervous about picking up your broody one, I like the idea of heavy gloves or using a towel to cover her. Good luck with whichever one is the broody one for your friend!

Back
Top Bottom