Broody hen question?

Pics
A friend is moving to a mor e affordable apartment and she had a buff sitting on a clutch of 35 eggs. I told her I would try to take her in because I wanted some spring chicks after I suffered a massive chick loss

35 eggs is a massive amount and far too many for a single hen to care for. I would be extremely surprised if they all hatched and even if they did she wouldn't be able to keep them all warm when they started growing. A hen will normally sit on up to a dozen, give or take a few.

35 eggs is a massive amount and far too many for a single hen to care for. I would be extremely surprised if they all hatched and even if they did she wouldn't be able to keep them all warm when they started growing. A hen will normally sit on up to a dozen, give or take a few.
When they hatch how many should I leave with her?

When they hatch how many should I leave with her?
If any of them hatch, I'd leave them with her. I believe it's warm where you are, so that is helpful.

She most likely won't hatch out all 35. The problem with such a huge clutch is, she can't possibly cover them all so when she shuffles them around, there will always be some eggs that aren't kept warm and will die. Honestly, I'd be surprised if any of them hatch.

When did she start setting on this clutch? If it hasn't been too long (over a week), I'd get rid of all 35 eggs and start her over with a dozen fertile eggs.

If any of them hatch, I'd leave them with her. I believe it's warm where you are, so that is helpful.

She most likely won't hatch out all 35. The problem with such a huge clutch is, she can't possibly cover them all so when she shuffles them around, there will always be some eggs that aren't kept warm and will die. Honestly, I'd be surprised if any of them hatch.

When did she start setting on this clutch? If it hasn't been too long (over a week), I'd get rid of all 35 eggs and start her over with a dozen fertile eggs.
14 days

I could candle the eggs and see which ones were viable?

Back
Top Bottom