Broody Hen question

Chickann

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Warren, Ontario
Hi!
One of my RSL's has decided to go broody,she started this 2 1/2 days ago, if I put fertile eggs under her tomorrow what are the odds she'll sit the whole time? Does broodiness only last 21 days and they snap out of it? Can they be indefinately broody??? I know nothing in general about broodies and hatching eggs!!!!!!! Thanks!

Hi Chickann,

hope the forum will supply all your answers.

For starters, it isn't really possible to know beforehand if she will go 21 days. I guess I'd put fertile eggs under her, make sure that the conditions are right (safe etc.) and hope for the best.

A chicken sitting on eggs will probably (if her hormone level holds) sit it out beyond 21-days until the chicks are hatched. During her broody time she will be in a happy trance and forget to eat and drink...so make sure she does leave the nest once per day to keep herself healthy. She won't be broody indefinitely. Should the broody period pass and no hatchlings--she will 'snap out of it' -- otherwise she will raise her chicks if she does get a hatch.....either way the broodiness will end....

Back
Top Bottom