Broody hen question

OHhappychicks

Crowing
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hillsboro,OH
I'm sure this question has been asked lots of times, but my broody hen has hatched 3 chicks this week (Wed). She is still setting on 5 eggs. When she went broody we didn't know how many eggs were under her. We also didn't realize for 2-3 days that other hens were laying in the nesting box with her. She ended up with 8. My dh built a little enclosure around the nest box so others couldn't get in, and where she could come out to eat & drink without being bothered by others. My question is, how long should we wait on the other eggs? We are thinking tomorrow, (sunday), evening. She gets off of them to eat and drink and show her babies the ways of chickens, (in the small pen), when you come in to see, she gets right back on the eggs. She still is moving them around and taking care of them. What are the chances they are still good? Would hate to throw out viable eggs!
hit.gif

Well, I'm certainly glad we waited!!!! 2 more hatched out last nite!!!
jumpy.gif
We will wait on the other 3. I just wanted to know how long you let the eggs set, seeing they were a staggered lay. It should be getting to, and past the 22 day. I kinda wonder if the hens know if the eggs are alive and good. We will see.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom