1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmchickens, Apr 1, 2015.

1. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Hello! I have some questions about my broody hen. I've never had hens hatch out babies before this year, so please forgive me. My White Rock's lone baby hatched about 5 weeks ago (2/25). She seems to be starting to distance herself from the chick now. During the day she is usually out in the yard and the chick stays in the coop. It's still kind of cold here, but the chick seems to be doing okay. Sometimes he comes outside with Mama hen. Yesterday she laid an egg. And she has started squatting again. She is still pretty content to go back into the broody cage with baby in the evening to sleep, but she is just itching to get out in the morning. I guess my question is if she is weaning her baby? Is he old enough to be okay with Mama's occasional care or should I stick him in the brooder? Thanks all!

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're definitely weaned when the hen starts to lay. I'm sure it will be fine.

3. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    I went out tonight to lock everybody up and Mama and baby were on the roost together. I guess I don't have to worry about them much anymore.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by