Broody Hen Raising Day Old Chicks From Store

Kiyadwalsh

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2020
Hi Everyone!

We are trying to add some new babies to our flock and have a VERY broody hen. She is 1.5 years old, never hatched eggs or raised babies but has been broody at least 3 times not including now.

We got her all set up in a separate area, and tried to introduce the babies today. She sat on them for about 5 minutes and then suddenly reached under her and grabbed one of the babies by the back of the neck/head and held it up that way. I freaked out honestly, afraid she was going to kill it, and snatched all of them up and put them back in the brooder. Does this mean she isn't going to take to them???

I think we might try again tonight when she is sleepy and less aware of us sticking them under her.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be super helpful. Just don't want to have murdered chicks after we just lost half of our flock to a coyote attack a few weeks ago. Enough chicken loss for me. :th

How many days has she been sitting?
I think generally you want your broody to be sitting on eggs for 10 days before introducing chicks. if chicks appear too quickly, she will be more likely to get suspicious and reject them.

Sorry for you loss :(

Hi Everyone!

We are trying to add some new babies to our flock and have a VERY broody hen. She is 1.5 years old, never hatched eggs or raised babies but has been broody at least 3 times not including now.

We got her all set up in a separate area, and tried to introduce the babies today. She sat on them for about 5 minutes and then suddenly reached under her and grabbed one of the babies by the back of the neck/head and held it up that way. I freaked out honestly, afraid she was going to kill it, and snatched all of them up and put them back in the brooder. Does this mean she isn't going to take to them???

I think we might try again tonight when she is sleepy and less aware of us sticking them under her.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be super helpful. Just don't want to have murdered chicks after we just lost half of our flock to a coyote attack a few weeks ago. Enough chicken loss for me. :th
Dont worry, I have done this many times! I have had three hens take on ducklings before, and it has also worked with quite a few of our hens! Our current broody took on two blue Andalusians and they imprinted on her almost instantly! We also have one hen raising three ducklings right now!
Cover her head, make sure she doesn't see them and keep sticking them under her!

And I am terribly sorry for your loss, I give you my condolences!

Last edited:
Dont worry, I have done this many times! I have had three hens take on ducklings before, and it has also worked with some of our recent chicks, they imprinted on the hen almost instantly! We have one hen raising three ducklings currently!
Cover her head, make sure she doesn't see them, and keep sticking them under her!
Thank you!! Okay we will try again tonight!

Is the picking them up like that normal? Should I have just let it go and waited to see what she did?

How many days has she been sitting?
I think generally you want your broody to be sitting on eggs for 10 days before introducing chicks. if chicks appear too quickly, she will be more likely to get suspicious and reject them.

Sorry for you loss :(
About 2.5 weeks this time so hopefully that is long enough for her.

Thank you. When we built our coop and run it was all done with hardwire mesh, we buried the mesh under the sides and pulled out all the stops for predator proofing. But then we decided they would be happy if they got to be out in the yard a little bit. Coyote got them while they were out and I feel so guilty. We did all that at the beginning and then just let them get snatched up.

Thank you!! Okay we will try again tonight!

Is the picking them up like that normal? Should I have just let it go and waited to see what she did?
It is fine because you were protecting them, and sometimes the mother will nip her chicks if she wants them to go under her, for example, if they strayed out from under her.

But just keep watch on them, and try not to react so quickly, if she pecks more than once, go ahead and take them out.

It is fine because you were protecting them, and sometimes the mother will nip her chicks if she wants them to go under her, for example, if they strayed out from under her.

But just keep watch on them, and try not to react so quickly, if she pecks more than once, go ahead and take them out.
Perfect! Thank you so so much!! I'll post later and update with how it goes! :D

Definitely at night, in low light put them under her. Check on them first thing in The morning in case she isn’t a good momma hen. We’ve done it successfully several times, but she must have sat for close to 3 weeks to have the right hormonal situation to accept chicks.

Back
Top Bottom