Broody Hen Raising Day old Turkeys

NHChickengirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Merrimack , NH
Anyone ever do this? I have a Broody chicken and 6 baby turkeys coming tomorrow. If I put her in the baby coop tonight with some fake eggs and change out the eggs tomorrow night will she raise them or kill them? Everyone says she will mother them but I am nervous if she kills them here's 6 Thanksgiving dinners not happening. I would try with just 1 for the first night but don't really have another safe place to put the other 5 babies. Thoughts??

Do you know what breed your hen is? Depending on the hen, it may kill them or mother them. I know Silkies are really good, and a few others. Make sure you don't have a rooster present, they can kill the turkeys. Fake eggs work, however sometimes it takes a couple of days for them to get broody.

Hopefully I was of help!

My Broody hen is an Easter Egger. I tried putting her in the 3x5 baby coop for the night with some eggs and all she did was freak out, pace and try to escape. I decided to not take a chance and have the baby turkeys in their with heat. The broody went right back to her favorite nesting box.

Oh... I'm sorry it didn't really work out for you. But I'm glad you didn't take the chance.
wink.png

Have fun raising those turkey chicks! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Back
Top Bottom