Broody hen rejected chicks

Toetwo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2012
The best laid plans. I have a broody hen. VEeeeeeeeery broody. Two days ago, I put 4 wooden eggs under her. Yesterday, I moved her into the nursery and then off I went to buy 5 totally adorable chicks (two Isa Browns. Three French Wheaten Marans.) She apparently doesn't agree with me. This morning she sat hunkered down in the way of broody hens, and the five babies were huddled looking at her from a safe distance. Desperate for Mom but Mom would have nothing to do with them. At one point, she was stomping around, clucking desperately as if looking for her chicks while the chicks as desperately called to her, nearly getting mowed over. The debate ended when she took one up in her beak. I saved the wee one and whisked the babies all to a safe place.

A few people have suggested I try again to put them under her tonight. I am entirely unconvinced. Thoughts?
I still have a miserable broody hen on my hands--to the extent that I am thinking of going out--how crazy am I?--to find two chicks. Ah, note: The chicks seem older than they were advertised to be. Their wing feathers are already growing in. So I wonder if their age had something to do with the rejection? Thus, I consider bringing in "real" babies.

Meantime, off I go to broooood over my brood!

Any thoughts or feedback welcome! Thank you!

Well, I'm in the same kind of a pickle. My young ducks decided they wanted to be moms and when the duckling hatched under them they totally flipped out. I tried slipping another of their freshly hatched still wet babies under them and they tried to kill that one. This was a few days ago.

Fast forward to yesterday.. Broody chicken (going on a month) kicked an egg from her nest as it started to peep in the shell. It was bleeding, but is still alive 24 hours later. I removed all but one egg that I missed from her nest which hatched today while I was at work and she managed to kill that little one that hatched under her.

I am so disappointed as I was super impressed by their commitment to their nests. I am thinking that mine are not ready to be moms or maybe don't have the nature to be motherly. 🤷‍♀️

Sorry I have no advice, but if your girl is like mine have been this summer, it may not be different with other younger chicks.

Well, I'm in the same kind of a pickle. My young ducks decided they wanted to be moms and when the duckling hatched under them they totally flipped out. I tried slipping another of their freshly hatched still wet babies under them and they tried to kill that one. This was a few days ago.

Fast forward to yesterday.. Broody chicken (going on a month) kicked an egg from her nest as it started to peep in the shell. It was bleeding, but is still alive 24 hours later. I removed all but one egg that I missed from her nest which hatched today while I was at work and she managed to kill that little one that hatched under her.

I am so disappointed as I was super impressed by their commitment to their nests. I am thinking that mine are not ready to be moms or maybe don't have the nature to be motherly. 🤷‍♀️

Sorry I have no advice, but if your girl is like mine have been this summer, it may not be different with other younger chicks.
Yikes! I feel lucky to have saved my wee ones--and am so sorry for your losses! What a nightmare. I have never had problems with broody hens before. They've always just attached to the chicks. Live and learn! Ans best wishes for more happen conclusions--or beginnings with you flock.

Plans not best laid on this one. Many details left out that could be use to modify approach so hen and chicks would properly imprint on each other. Outcome was not bad luck or a vagary of introducing chicks to a broody hen.

Plans not best laid on this one. Many details left out that could be use to modify approach so hen and chicks would properly imprint on each other. Outcome was not bad luck or a vagary of introducing chicks to a broody hen.
I was being sarcastic about best laid plans. Would love to hear details on what I can change to rectify it possible, or should do differently next time.

Hard call. Imprinting starts even before the chicks hatch. (raise them yourself, mom hen?) :confused:
yes, I always assume I will raise them if the broody hen won’t. I have always introduced the chicks at night with only good results. From what I read on line here, some introduce during the day. So I will try again tomorrow but will be there in case.

Yikes! I feel lucky to have saved my wee ones--and am so sorry for your losses! What a nightmare. I have never had problems with broody hens before. They've always just attached to the chicks. Live and learn! Ans best wishes for more happen conclusions--or beginnings with you flock.
Thanks! I'm going to brood the remaining babies and all will be well. 😊 Just shared on the chance it may save you the same disappointment, if it were to go that way. Whatever you decide to do, good luck! 🍀

yes, I always assume I will raise them if the broody hen won’t. I have always introduced the chicks at night with only good results. From what I read on line here, some introduce during the day. So I will try again tomorrow but will be there in case.
There are times when introduction can occur during the day. It needs to be before hen and brood need to start feeding in earnest. Example (linked below) I posted a few weeks ago had hen not quit ready to move, plus I had her and chicks more or less confined to a milkcrate. Both hen and chicks were in the "sweet spot" time wise to imprint. Just because hen and chicks are open to imprinting does not mean they have done so. It takes a few hours at least for everyone to "link up". That is why doing introduction just after sun down is often the better choice. The additional time at night can also help imprinting process when not all parties on in the sweet spot.

Example posted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...roody-hen-for-adoption.1363323/#post-22467117

There are times when introduction can occur during the day. It needs to be before hen and brood need to start feeding in earnest. Example (linked below) I posted a few weeks ago had hen not quit ready to move, plus I had her and chicks more or less confined to a milk crate. Both hen and chicks were in the "sweet spot" time wise to imprint. Just because hen and chicks are open to imprinting does not mean they have done so. It takes a few hours at least for everyone to "link up". That is why doing introduction just after sun down is often the better choice. The additional time at night can also help imprinting process when not all parties on in the sweet spot.

Example posted: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...roody-hen-for-adoption.1363323/#post-22467117
I love the sound of a hen calling out her chicks! Thank you for all this information and videos. I think the chicks I bought were older thank I was told as they have slightly feathered in wings. I might attempt to take them out in their current "coop"--kitty litter box, food, water, heat and wire cover--and put them in to the coop where the broody is sitting. And sit with them to see what happens. Just in case she might change her mind and a conversation between them might start. Otherwise, I'll set up a heat pad cave in the nursery and take care of them myself. As to the broody hen, I have been taking her off the nest for days. This morning I put her into a fenced in area where the nursery is to try to "break" her. She--a very big hen--flew over the fence to get back to her nest. No surprise, I suppose. But now I have 5 chicks added to the issue of a brooooooody hen. As ever, suggestions welcome. She's been broody for about 3 weeks. And many thanks again for the videos!

Back
Top Bottom