Broody hen setting on eggs from different dates

Mommaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I have a hen that is setting on eggs from April 2 and another batch April 8th. I was saving eggs for someone else who then said she had no room for the 10 left to go in incubator. Peachie had been setting on 4 eggs by this time for about four days so I placed four new eggs under her (they were sitting out waiting for friend's incubator). This gives me two different hatching days. Was I wrong to place the additional eggs under her? I couldn't throw them out as they were fertile. I gave the other 6 to Ms Silkie. Both are doing a good job. Well last night one egg hatched. Will Peachie continue to set on the other eggs until hatched in about five more days or should I remove the newly hatched chick and let Peachie remain setting until the others hatch? I know this may have been a mistake but this is my first clutch to hatch and I am so excited. Please advise me as what to do? Remove the new chick so Peachie thinks she can still set. I don't want her to leave her eggs thinking she only has one baby....thanks so much for any advice.

Clutches two days apart OK as second clutch will be talking to mom before first needs to leave nest. First lot can stay on nest a good 48 hours before needing to eat. Six day interval will be very problematic. Older chicks will want to leave and hen will get her own ideas as well since communication with second lot will not start in time.

I have a hen that is setting on eggs from April 2 and another batch April 8th. I was saving eggs for someone else who then said she had no room for the 10 left to go in incubator. Peachie had been setting on 4 eggs by this time for about four days so I placed four new eggs under her (they were sitting out waiting for friend's incubator). This gives me two different hatching days. Was I wrong to place the additional eggs under her? I couldn't throw them out as they were fertile. I gave the other 6 to Ms Silkie. Both are doing a good job. Well last night one egg hatched. Will Peachie continue to set on the other eggs until hatched in about five more days or should I remove the newly hatched chick and let Peachie remain setting until the others hatch? I know this may have been a mistake but this is my first clutch to hatch and I am so excited. Please advise me as what to do? Remove the new chick so Peachie thinks she can still set. I don't want her to leave her eggs thinking she only has one baby....thanks so much for any advice.

Yes, different hatch dates is a bad idea, as you've found out. She will not sit on the nest more than about 48 hours after the hatch of the first chick, since those first hatchlings will need to eat.

She needs to stay on that nest for the other eggs, and she needs to get off the nest within three days for that first chick--really a no-win situation. I'd remove that first chick to see if she'll hatch the others. You might be able to put the chick back when the others have just hatched, if you're very lucky. Watch very carefully so she doesn't kill the first chick. Otherwise you'll have to raise the first chick in a brooder.

It's always a good safety precaution to have a brooder ready to go when you hatch, just in case.

Last edited:
Yes, different hatch dates is a bad idea, as you've found out. She will not sit on the nest more than about 48 hours after the hatch of the first chick, since those first hatchlings will need to eat.

She needs to stay on that nest for the other eggs, and she needs to get off the nest within three days for that first chick--really a no-win situation. I'd remove that first chick to see if she'll hatch the others. You might be able to put the chick back when the others have just hatched, if you're very lucky. Watch very carefully so she doesn't kill the first chick. Otherwise you'll have to raise the first chick in a brooder.

It's always a good safety precaution to have a brooder ready to go when you hatch, just in case.
I too was thinking of taking the baby chick out so that she will set longer. That's what I'll do...thank you so much....I'm surprised the other three set on the same date, 4-2-14 didn't hatch at the same time....will do.

Back
Top Bottom