Broody hen started killing chicks

Jul 22, 2017
I am so so sad and confused. Last night, my broody hen hatched 9 beautiful chicks and was doing everything right. No lethargic chicks; everything was great. Went to go feed her this morning and there were five laying there bloody and dead (clearly pecked in the head) but the other 4 she was very nicely taking care of and I am just so confused. They were completely healthy chicks she had just mauled. She is a first time mom, but I’ve never heard of this happening. Someone please tell me why this happened? I took the other chicks because I couldn’t risk any more dying. She has two eggs left to hatch and if she hatched those I’m taking them too.

Is she alone? Or can other hens get to the chicks? If she's alone than unfortunately some hens don't know what chicks are, or what they are doing.

I’m so sorry. I’m having a similar problem now. Only one chick has hatched so far, but the hen keeps throwing it out and pecking it. Fortunately I was there and after trying to settle the baby back under her, I finally gave up and have it inside under a MHP. It’s pecked pretty good around the head and I’m hoping it will be ok. I’m also worried about the others if I’m not out there when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom