Broody hen started setting 4/30 - anyone else with me???

zephyr66

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Parthenon, Arkansas
my RIR got broody last night and since i know how stubborn she is, i just gave her eggs right away. she just hatched eggs 10 weeks ago! boy, she has the broody gene! well, i put 9 eggs under her, made a nice nesting box and mounted it so it's ground level and she has been covering her eggs since morning. whoo hoo!! who else is starting today?

sylvia

Hi there! I started eggs on the 30th, too!
thumbsup.gif

I have incubating buddies on another thread but you're all alone here, so I had to post!!!
hugs.gif

Hello, I had a stubborn broody GL Wyandotte that I gave some Welsh Harlequin duck eggs on Monday, April 25th. Then I received a surprise shipment of 5 BLR Wyandotte eggs, arrived ready to set on April 30. So with a hope and a prayer I gave them to her too. I hope they hatch in sync, or I may be scrambling. This is my first hatching season, learning lots! It's like waiting for water to boil, only worse.
smile.png

Sue

My little seabright decided she is broody too. I think she's jealous of the three that hatched theirs 3 weeks ago. I said no more this season but I thought I had to be fair so I gave her 5 eggs. It sure is fun watching the mamas with their babies.
love.gif

congrats everyone! it's fun and exciting. hoping for healthy, happy chicks! this time i made it so they will hatch on a saturday and i'll have a couple days to watch them. last time it was on a monday and i had to leave town tuesday!

I love to watch them run around the yard with the mamas! Unfortunately one of my dogs broke out of the kennel last week and took care of most of the chicks!
sad.png
THere are still a few with the mamas but the numbers are greatly reduced. I am sure a few more will be popping out with babies soon though, Also I have call ducks on eggs and muskovies and geese setting...there are many babies in my future! Just gotta reinforce that kennel a bit! Good luck to all! TErri O

Back
Top Bottom