Broody hen still laying!?

jessvan

Hatching
Aug 1, 2016
Hi everyone I'm loving all the information on this group! But I have a hen who has been sitting on a dozen eggs for just over 2 weeks now ....I'm new to being a chicken mumma and have done some reading.. I have marked them she is my only white hen the others are Araucanas so I know her eggs... I have marked the dozen but each day when she feeds and drinks quickly before going back on the nest she lays another egg!?!? Is this possible?? Everything about her is signs of broody except for this which she only started doing 4 days ago!?! I'm expecting chicks lol ... :)

Anyone... I know it says if they r still laying they r not really broody but she is not giving up on her nest and very protective only gets up for a minute to drink poop and eat...

That's what I want to hear lol! Haha everything I have read says it means she's not truely broody and with 7 days to go I'm hoping to prove the 'anything is possible' theory haha the only impossible feat is sneezing with your eyes open I believe
1f605.png

welcome-byc.gif

I have a similar thing, but at the earlier end of the broody time frame. My only brown egger in the pen (Brahma Momma) went broody, I gave her two of her own eggs, and the rest blue eggs from her pen mates. Marked them all well cause she's in the pen with the blue eggers. I waited until she was on the nest two nights, stuck pretty darn tight. I always check for "donated" eggs from the other hens when they're in a pen with other layers. I was not surprised to find extra blue eggs, but over that first week I also got 2 brown eggs, from Brahma Momma
hmm.png
. I've also been told they won't lay when they're broody, and have never had a hen do that. But she's not going anywhere, broody as all get out, so I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Guess we'll find out together
smile.png

Well I'm excited for us both now haha 7 ish days to go here ... My kids are excited
1f60a.png
I'm going to build a separate pen for them this weekend
1f423.png
As a first timer I will feel better if I know they are safe from the other hens and 'batman' our Peking Rooster lol good luck with your broody girl :)

Well I'm excited for us both now haha 7 ish days to go here ... My kids are excited
1f60a.png
I'm going to build a separate pen for them this weekend
1f423.png
As a first timer I will feel better if I know they are safe from the other hens and 'batman' our Peking Rooster lol good luck with your broody girl
smile.png
Actually it is better to leave a broody and her chicks with the flock...tho not a bad idea to have a separate enclosure ready in case it's needed.
There might be some scuffles, but most the time if the broody is a good mama she will protect the chicks,
and will quickly settle any pecking order battles she needs to have.

If the cock/erel starts trouble, instead of stopping it, it may be good indicator the need to get a new boy.

I will get one ready now and see how they go... O won't move her unless I have to
1f60a.png
Can we eat the eggs the other hens add to her nest when she's gets up if she sits on them for a day b4 I catch her??? Probably a silly question but I'll only ask once lol :)

Ok so the eggs were fertile but they only half developed!?! I've put 4 brought eggs under her now and her old eggs are well well over 21 days and she has begun kicking the old ones out, so I checked one with a torch and op bed it and it's half formed!!! I'm unsure what to do if these brought eggs don't hatch??? Worried she will be sitting in her box forever if nothing happens lol HELP!!!

Back
Top Bottom