Broody hen, storm is coming?

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I just found that one of the hens I thought I lost to predators had made a nest in a bush and had been sitting this whole time. They are hatching right now, but there is a thunderstorm coming and shes just under a small bush. I have one of those large igloo dog houses I could put over her but I dont want to spook her.

Should I leave her be or try to put the igloo over her?

Oh no! Some broodies will stay broody, no matter what. Others will not. All you can is try. Try and move her, don’t change much. Good luck!!

Ill get pics in a moment but first I got a whole new problem. There are 4 chicks walking around, a 5th was 90% hatched but ants swarmed and killed it. There are 11 more eggs. I do not have diatomaceous earth on hand is there anything else I can put down that will keep them away and not harm the eggs?

Thanks im reading it now. I think the hen may have abandoned the nest because of the ants. The eggs still feel warm. I have an incubator but I havent cleaned it since the last hatch should I try just putting them in it or leave them and see what happens?

Do you have any idea what day they are on? I am guessing they should be hatching today. Are some already pipping? If you don't see any signs of them hatching it might be a good idea to put them in an incubator. If they are pipping, and it is warm enough outside, you probably can leave them where they are, but you will need to watch them. Also are you sure the broody abandoned the eggs, maybe she is thrown off if because you are close by?

I am no expert (I have incubated eggs, but not in awhile), but I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom