Broody hen- swap eggs with chicks?

1chick3chick

Chirping
Mar 5, 2016
Hopefully this belongs here- I was debating between here and raising chicks... anyway!
I have a broody hen. Shes my oldest girl, first chicken we ever got, about 4 years ago. She is definitely head hen and rules the coop, if that makes any difference! So, its her first time going broody, however we sadly lost our rooster a few months ago and the eggs aren't going to hatch. I plan to pickup 3 chicks tomorrow that hatched last night/this morning (so approximately 36 hours old when I get them). Is it usually successful to swap the eggs out with chicks? Should I separate her and the chicks from our other hens (there are 4 others)? Were new to the adding chicks game- since our first batch of chicks when we initially started, weve only added fully grown birds to our flock! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hopefully this belongs here- I was debating between here and raising chicks... anyway!
I have a broody hen. Shes my oldest girl, first chicken we ever got, about 4 years ago. She is definitely head hen and rules the coop, if that makes any difference! So, its her first time going broody, however we sadly lost our rooster a few months ago and the eggs aren't going to hatch. I plan to pickup 3 chicks tomorrow that hatched last night/this morning (so approximately 36 hours old when I get them). Is it usually successful to swap the eggs out with chicks? Should I separate her and the chicks from our other hens (there are 4 others)? Were new to the adding chicks game- since our first batch of chicks when we initially started, weve only added fully grown birds to our flock! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
If the hen has been brooding for at least a week there's a good chance she will accept the chicks. When fostering chicks, as you are going to do, it is best to give the chicks to the hen after dark. Remove any eggs she may have and I always put clean egg shells in the nest with the new chicks (I'm not sure if the shells fake the hen into believing her eggs hatched, but I haven't had a hen reject chicks since I started this). While fostering is usually successful be prepared in case the hen rejects the chicks. I separate hens with new chicks for 3-7 days until the chicks are very mobile.

I like to know what your coop and run look like before I comment too much on whether or not to separate the hen and chicks. I don't separate them but in some circumstances it can be a good idea.

When I give a broody hen chicks I wait until it's really dark and slip them under her. I don't always put them totally under her, just next to her is usually good enough. They pretty much know what to do. Be careful not to crush a chick that is already under her by trying to force one in. I've given a hen as many as 15 chicks, it can get pretty crowded under there.

I remove any eggs I have under her, usually two or three fake eggs. I use golf balls. I don't worry about counting chicks and eggs, never been an issue.

Just be down there at first light to see how it is going.

Good luck!

Is it usually successful to swap the eggs out with chicks? Should I separate her and the chicks from our other hens (there are 4 others)?
I've been successful many times doing this after the lady has sat for a couple weeks... too early and she won't be ready to come off the nest.

I too tuck them in after dark as chicks and mum stay put when they can't see. This allows her to feel them moving and hear them peeping and peep back to the so they learn each others' voices. I do remove any eggs under her but I've never heard of leaving shells behind.. it's an interesting thought anyways.. sounds like an over thinker type person, surprised it never crossed my mind! :lol:

Separating or not is a personal choice. I DON'T do it. Hormonal broody's are quite capable of holding their own.. even my Silkies whooped up on bigger birds... innocently let them walk past and the sneak attack to put them on the run so they don't even think about looking at the babies.

I do however go early in the morning and every half hour-ish to check how things are going the first day.. make sure no baby has gotten out and accidentally not found it's way back under mama. Chilled chicks are dead chicks. If I put FOOD and water nearby.. I DO create a little barrier to block the flock away.. I swear they just LOVE getting at the food meant for babies even when it the SAME food.. it's at a different new and interesting location. So many things will depend on YOUR flock and YOUR set up.

Younger is best.. but I have successfully adopted chicks as old as 6 days.

My biggest suggestion is don't bring chicks that were hatched under another bird or from an unknown source.. too many diseases that can wipe out your entire flock.

Pics always welcome once ya got the new family settled in! ;)

:fl

I also leave my broody hens in the main coop to rear their clutches. I've rarely had any problems. Most hens could care less about new chicks around the yard, and your broody will protect them in any event. Just make sure you change out any layer food you have out for an all flock type, or even chick food, as Momma will take her chicks to eat out of the food dishes she is accustomed to, no matter how many little containers of chick food you set out.

I also put a broken egg shell in with the chicks. I'm not sure how necessary that is, but it's easy enough for me to do it. One trick I use in inserting the chicks if the broody is particularly feisty, is to use one hand to distract her a bit while a slip a chick behind her with the other. Some hens will take chicks so readily you can't screw it up; others you have to get crafty with.

Good luck! It's very gratifying to see a mother hen raising chicks.

If the hen has been brooding for at least a week there's a good chance she will accept the chicks. When fostering chicks, as you are going to do, it is best to give the chicks to the hen after dark. Remove any eggs she may have and I always put clean egg shells in the nest with the new chicks (I'm not sure if the shells fake the hen into believing her eggs hatched, but I haven't had a hen reject chicks since I started this). While fostering is usually successful be prepared in case the hen rejects the chicks. I separate hens with new chicks for 3-7 days until the chicks are very mobile.

THANK YOU so much!! I was on track with my plan to wait until after dark, but never would have thought about the egg shells, will definitely try that too!!

Back
Top Bottom