Broody Hen Thread!

I'm a bit worried she takes to much time. She won't get off unless I take her off but when I do she really lives it up lol. I'm worried the eggs will get cold.. darn chickens going broody in winter lol
Hmmmmm. Do you have a garage or shop you could move her into for the next few weeks? I'm not familiar with what passes for winter in the northern part of California, it's down in the low teens here tonight. I couldn't let a broody stay out in the coop for the simple reason you mentioned. If she got off of the nest for any length of time it would be disastrous for the eggs. I would have to bring her and her eggs into our shop with a heat lamp. While the shop is warmer than the outside, it isn't heated.

Maybe you have a place where you can move broody, nest and eggs somewhere temporarily where it is warmer and move her back to her coop once the eggs are hatched and the chicks are stabilized.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

If your daytime temps are 50 she might be ok. Eggs can stand a bit of a cool down without harm. Hens tend to know how long they can be away from their eggs when they are brooding. Are your overnight temps falling below freezing and going any higher than 50?

Hi all. Just an update on my Hariett. She went straight to nest yesterday soon as i put her out. So i gave her an hour then lifted her up and closed the coop. She got a treat of sweetcorn with her sister and spent about 20 mins trying to suss out a way in. I let them free range after of which ol murpheys law was on hand. Poor Hariett got a fright and flew straight into our pool!! I was right there busy painting so i lifted her out. I think she was more embarrised than frightened
1f602.png
. Now after that fright shes been doing well. No nesting today. She isnt laying either but thats fine. Im just happy shes not in nest mode. Holding thumbs here!

Hmmmmm. Do you have a garage or shop you could move her into for the next few weeks? I'm not familiar with what passes for winter in the northern part of California, it's down in the low teens here tonight. I couldn't let a broody stay out in the coop for the simple reason you mentioned. If she got off of the nest for any length of time it would be disastrous for the eggs. I would have to bring her and her eggs into our shop with a heat lamp. While the shop is warmer than the outside, it isn't heated.

Maybe you have a place where you can move broody, nest and eggs somewhere temporarily where it is warmer and move her back to her coop once the eggs are hatched and the chicks are stabilized.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

If your daytime temps are 50 she might be ok. Eggs can stand a bit of a cool down without harm. Hens tend to know how long they can be away from their eggs when they are brooding. Are  your overnight temps falling below freezing and going any higher than 50?

So far our lowest nightie temp is around 39 degrees. But that's the lowest. On average it's closer to 40 degrees..

Granted those aren't spring time temps but I had a hen go broody last February when the temps were running about the same as they are for you. On her week two the temps took a dive with highs in the 30s and lows in the high teens. I put a light bulb over her and she did all right but the ordeal really took a lot out of her. It took her months to regain conditioning. If she pulls that stunt this winter I will break her even if it takes two or three times till spring comes.

So how is your girl doing? Have you timed how long she has been off the nest?

I have 3 Barred rocks and 4 buff Orpington hens . I was so excited when I walked into the coop and found my buff Orpington hen , Jenifer , puffed up and ready to fight over them regs ! Lol she pecked me once or twice to get me the message so I left her alone . The next day same thing , then the third day she decided that she'd had enough of this broody mama business and hopped off her nest and left me with cold eggs
1f602.png
1f602.png

I posted this on an FB group, but realized it might be better suited here. Sorry if you happen to see it both places LOL

Meet Olive. This is her 4th night sleeping in the nest box. She's not hissing at me when I check under her for eggs when I lock up the birds for the night. She's laying on some fakes. She's also been seen mingling with the flock like normal and races out with everyone else in the morning for vittles.
Do they do this for this long before committing? Or is she just playing games with me too?
lol.png
Every time I thought my Betty was going broody, she was all "NOPE, I'm not!" But since this is Olive's 4th night, it prompted me to wonder a little more.

It would be timely if she committed this weekend. I'm planning on participating in the NYD hatch and I'd sure love the help in integrating some babies in with the rest of the birds ;)

I posted this on an FB group, but realized it might be better suited here. Sorry if you happen to see it both places LOL Meet Olive. This is her 4th night sleeping in the nest box. She's not hissing at me when I check under her for eggs when I lock up the birds for the night. She's laying on some fakes. She's also been seen mingling with the flock like normal and races out with everyone else in the morning for vittles. Do they do this for this long before committing? Or is she just playing games with me too? :lol: Every time I thought my Betty was going broody, she was all "NOPE, I'm not!" But since this is Olive's 4th night, it prompted me to wonder a little more. It would be timely if she committed this weekend. I'm planning on participating in the NYD hatch and I'd sure love the help in integrating some babies in with the rest of the birds ;)
If she is pooping in the nest then she is just choosing it as a comfy spot for the evenings....a broody will remain committed during the majority of the day also, though she may dash out for one or two short breaks. She could be just considering... so a bit more checking is needed before giving her a clutch of her own. Try replacing the fake eggs with a couple of eggs you know won't develop to see if she is wanting the eggs to feel warmer for some reason. See if she treats them differently.

Back
Top Bottom