Broody Hen Thread!

I have Buff Orpington that has been broody so long I can't remember when she WASN'T. She's just sitting in the nest box - on nothing but straw. I did try to put some fertilized guinea eggs in a box on the ground & move her down there so she could at least be doing SOMEthing
he.gif
but back to her empty nest box she went.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I love broodies WAY more than incubators. My silkiexaustrolop hatched ALL 1 dozen eggs! a couple of days ago. When your hens go broody do you separate her from the rest of the flock? or just keep them together?

I started with leaving her with the others but they kept laying eggs in with the others so I set the nest box into a kennel so she wouldn't be bothered. Then it got cold again so I took over the juvie brooder for her and the chicks. I plan to put her back outside next weekend and see how they do. I was worried about the cats eating chicks but not any more. I did a controlled test to see mommas reaction and I had to save the cat.

Quote:
I tried moving the eggs into another nest box but mine liked the one she was nesting in. If she likes her old nest leave her there until they hatch.

Quote:
My Buff Orpington had the SAME problem. I wanted to move her in a coop away from the other birds, but NO she HAD to have that nest box. lol So I brought the nest box to the coop and she's doing just fine!

My nest boxes are up on the wall - my cat is sitting in it over on the left. I am a bit worried to do that as the baby keats would have about a 4 foot drop from there.

Quote:
Well can't you let her nest them in there and take them away from her until they all hatch, then give them back when they all hatch. I think they don't care what nest box there in after the chicks hatch. BUT all hens are different.

Quote:
My Buff Orpington had the SAME problem. I wanted to move her in a coop away from the other birds, but NO she HAD to have that nest box. lol So I brought the nest box to the coop and she's doing just fine!

Haha!
lol.png
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom