Broody Hen Thread!

My broody (a buff orpington) has 13 eggs -due to hatch any day now!
yesss.gif
She is so cute sitting on her eggs.

My broody hen is pooping in her nest! I just put 6 shipped/fertile eggs under her. Everything I have read says disturb her as little as possible but should I periodically check/ clean up for poop?

I have a broody on day 20 haven't heard any peeping yet but I guess I got to wait longer I also have a story. The first broody we ever had was a tiny little pekin she sat on 9 eggs and about 7 hatched but because she was so small she squashed all her babies except for one that recently taken by a fox
hit.gif
and she was attacked by a dog so she's gone as well I just hope this batch goes better
fl.gif

Hi there everyone I'm on day 13 with 2 broody buff orps
1f60a.png
there was originally 12 eggs one got pecked by another very naughty orp!!
1f62c.png
and another one seems to have disappeared!?! I noticed the other day when I candeled some of the eggs (they were all alive and kicking!!
1f60a.png
) that one had egg yolk on it, so I had suspicions one had broken. But this morning no sign of anything!?? No yolk mess or shell!?? Could she have eaten it all??
not an ideal nest because they're in the nest boxes but I've locked the other hens out and they've enjoyed the last week being undisturbed
1f609.png

HELP!! My hen isn't turning her EGGS. I have a hen that has been setting on a clutch of eggs that were placed last Thursday, so 5 days ago. I've noticed that when i go to check on her each day and refill her feed and water she is in the exact same position. I decided to candle the eggs tonight. 5 eggs had great spidery veins and looked great except one thing, they all appeared to only have the spider veins and "mass" of embryo on 1/2 of the egg. So not the bottom half, rather the left or right half. I'm worried that she isn't turning them. She is 7 months old and this is her first time to brood. What should I do? Will they hatch like that or all die? I'm scared if they do hatch they will all be deformed or something....

Sure she is. You just are there to see it. ;-) She knows what she is doing. My DH said (when I was obsessing over my broody's first hatch) that he just couldn't understand how chickens had survived through the ages without my help. Our little modern day velociraptors do an amazing job. I made sure there was water and food within reach and took her treats when the other girls got theirs each evening. At first she fluffed up and growled at me, but after a few days, she seemed to realize i was just bringing the usual evening treats and ate what she wanted of the treats. She had made her nest right next to the waterer, so that wasn't a problem.

I had one egg (under the broody) with the air cell on the side of the egg. It was the first to hatch, and the chick is just fine. She (I hope she) pipped and zipped just fine.

The veins are like others have said, and also they look different on different eggs.

^^ My 7 month old first time broody is sitting on 8 eggs right now. Initially I thought she wasn't turning them but they are all different colors and I've checked every day (we're probably around day 12 right now - my broody is in fact turning them, rotating them around. I noticed some that were in the front yesterday are not on the side under her wing or towards the back where it's extra warm. She goes poop every 2 days, but I have the waterer next to the nest and I give her an egg and chick starter (that she barely eats). I'm thinking of taking away the food in the next few days if she wants to get up she can eat, but I don't want her pooping on the eggs. I saw a video yesterday where a broody pooped on one that was zipping and it never hatched. This is what I'm worried about.

Hi there everyone I'm on day 13 with 2 broody buff orps
1f60a.png
there was originally 12 eggs one got pecked by another very naughty orp!!
1f62c.png
and another one seems to have disappeared!?! I noticed the other day when I candeled some of the eggs (they were all alive and kicking!!
1f60a.png
) that one had egg yolk on it, so I had suspicions one had broken. But this morning no sign of anything!?? No yolk mess or shell!?? Could she have eaten it all?? not an ideal nest because they're in the nest boxes but I've locked the other hens out and they've enjoyed the last week being undisturbed
1f609.png

I have read and been watching videos on youtube about this - they say don't be surprised if she catch them eating the eggs, because they know which ones are bad. she probably cleaned it off. I love broodies compared to incubating. I don't have to check temps or humidity every hour or lose any sleep. Set it and forget it! lol

I have 10 chicks (now about 48 hours) under a broody, I was wondering if this is too many for her when they are all bigger in a few days... If so what can i do to help her keep them all toastie warm? Thanks

She will cover them with her wings and lift up so they can get under.
As they grow, they get more and better feathers, although the down keeps them warm, too.
Is she a LF or BantY? A LF should be fine.
Congrats and Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom