Broody Hen Thread!

I have a young hen that just went broody. I been raising my flock for about 7 years and she is my first hen to go broody!!!! We have over 40 hens and 4 Roos. She laid one egg and decided to sit. So I placed 8 total eggs from various hens and she seems happy. I have her secluded in my transition pen she has plenty if room and her every need is met. Yesterday I was feeding and there was an egg shell in the pen....any advice??? She was not an egg eater previously. I'm afraid to go out to see what she may have done....she has been sitting about 10 days now. Thanks so much for all advice!!!!:yiipchick

I'd check to see what's going on. Likely one of the infertile eggs broke or was bad and she cleaned things up. That's been the case when I've experienced that.

Congratulations on your broody. You'll never go back to heat lamps.

Lady of McCamley

Quote:
I agree... I have had young broodies break eggs getting in and out of the nest, but honestly every one I've ever found broke was not developing... and many times I found it had a thinner shell than others. Others here have said they found hens break eggs or kick them out of the nest if they quit developing... So may never have been quite right to begin with. I've had the hens clean up most of it themselves and those hens return to laying after raising their brood and never show signs of egg eating again.

Hi my silkie has been sitting on eggs 2 1/2 weeks ( I think) sorry I lost track of the time when get gets off the nest I check them 1 looks like it going to hatch should I remove the ones that are clear or just leave them alone. Also dose she let you know when they hatch or do you just keep checking she very good about me coming near her I really miss her sitting on my lap in the morning This is our first time around lol

If you are sure they are clear and really want to remove them go ahead. Or you could leave them until a day or 3 after the one hatches and maybe get a surprise.... I was removing my whole clutch that I thought was duds and had 2 eggs freak out at me. They went right back under my hen and hatched an hour later!

Check her daily if she'll tolerate it. Otherwise, you will hear little peeps when it has hatched!

Good luck!
B.

I have a little bantam hen sitting on 2 hen eggs and 2 duck eggs!!
Day 1 for the hen eggs and day 7 for the duck eggs!
I can't wait to see how this works out.
love.gif

Me either!
pop.gif

If you are sure they are clear and really want to remove them go ahead. Or you could leave them until a day or 3 after the one hatches and maybe get a surprise.... I was removing my whole clutch that I thought was duds and had 2 eggs freak out at me. They went right back under my hen and hatched an hour later!

Check her daily if she'll tolerate it. Otherwise, you will hear little peeps when it has hatched!

Good luck!
B.

Thank you for answering my question I will leave them I can't wait to see my grandchicks lol

Oh no! I think I might need help...

I'm now buying fertile eggs without my DH knowing about it! I'm awful! He's going to go crazy!

Harmony the broody is happy at last! 4 Ameracuana eggs and they'll hatch by the end of next weekend. I put her in her basket with her nest wrapped in a towel in a dog crate in the back of my car and we went to see a lady with eggs in the incubator.

now where I need to help is hiding my husbands body once he finds out.....

Last edited:
Oh no! I think I might need help...

I'm now buying fertile eggs without my DH knowing about it! I'm awful! He's going to go crazy!

Harmony the broody is happy at last! 4 Ameracuana eggs and they'll hatch by the end of next weekend. I put her in her basket with her nest wrapped in a towel in a dog crate in the back of my car and we went to see a lady with eggs in the incubator.

now where I need to help is hiding my husbands body once he finds out.....
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Oh dear....chicken math has struck again.
hide.gif

I'm sure your dear husband loves you enough to indulge your chicken fancy...mine has been amazingly forgiving...we were only going to have "4" ....now I am running typically 19 to 21 birds...and planning to hatch more in April as soon as my Silkie nods her head. He rolls his eyes...and then goes and builds me another coop. Sweet man.

Oh well...it is a fun hobby even if the math doesn't add up.
tongue.png

Good luck with your new brood. Keep us posted.

Lady of McCamley, another serial hatcher

I bought my 1st Silkie today. She about a yr and a half old. Brought her home and put her in the quarantine cage, along with her Frizzled Cochin man, added a nest box with a fake egg in it, for when she starts laying while she's in there. I went out tonight to check on them, & she'd knocked over the box and was setting on the fake egg!! I know the breed goes broody a lot, but Really!?!? I need her to lay a few at least first!! Lol Hopefully she's just a little nervous!

I bought my 1st Silkie today. She about a yr and a half old. Brought her home and put her in the quarantine cage, along with her Frizzled Cochin man, added a nest box with a fake egg in it, for when she starts laying while she's in there. I went out tonight to check on them, & she'd knocked over the box and was setting on the fake egg!! I know the breed goes broody a lot, but Really!?!? I need her to lay a few at least first!! Lol Hopefully she's just a little nervous!
Uhmm...she's a Silkie...she is not nervous...see egg, must hatch. I've heard of them being moved with eggs in tow, trying to brood in transit.
tongue.png

Sounds like you are going to have a good broody on your hands.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom