Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    I'm picking up 3 day old Sizzles tomorrow!! 9 of them! Hoping they will wind up being my broody bunch!! Yay! Now, will I be patient enough to wait for them to start laying and brooding? Or will I need some adults, a Silkie and a Frizzle too?? Hmmm That's a big question!

2. lovely guy

lovely guy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    is my hen going to be broody again/.///////////////

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

4. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Very interesting! Thanks for the information!

We only have SS Hamburgs right now, and I've heard that they rarely go broody (not that it couldn't happen, we have 13 pullets), but we do plan on getting some different breeds in the future, so this is very helpful information!

5. silkieluv23

silkieluv23 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2013
    I have a little bantam hen sitting on 2 hen eggs and 2 duck eggs!!
    Day 1 for the hen eggs and day 7 for the duck eggs!
    I can't wait to see how this works out. [​IMG]

6. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Hi my silkie has been sitting on eggs 2 1/2 weeks ( I think) sorry I lost track of the time when get gets off the nest I check them 1 looks like it going to hatch should I remove the ones that are clear or just leave them alone. Also dose she let you know when they hatch or do you just keep checking she very good about me coming near her I really miss her sitting on my lap in the morning This is our first time around lol

7. AliceGee

AliceGee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia
    My favourite silkie hen jennifer cluckence ( get it? ;) ) is on day 17 with six eggs and another of my silkies has just gone broody today. They're both so sweet, haven't pecked me once when I take an egg to candle! I've seen movement in all six eggs so hopefully both hers and my first hatch will go well!! :D Their father Russell crow is eagerly awaiting their arrival. Hopefully I'll have some cute photos to share in about 4 days time!

8. coltcogburn00

coltcogburn00 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I need help I need a breed that is broody and can handle hot and cold weather

9. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    my silkies did fine at minus 10 F, also did not have trouble with normal temperatures last summer (Missouri).

10. ropergirl

ropergirl Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Avon Park, FL
    I have a young hen that just went broody. I been raising my flock for about 7 years and she is my first hen to go broody!!!! We have over 40 hens and 4 Roos. She laid one egg and decided to sit. So I placed 8 total eggs from various hens and she seems happy. I have her secluded in my transition pen she has plenty if room and her every need is met. Yesterday I was feeding and there was an egg shell in the pen....any advice??? She was not an egg eater previously. I'm afraid to go out to see what she may have done....she has been sitting about 10 days now. Thanks so much for all advice!!!!:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by