Broody Hen Thread!

Gracie rearranging her eggs (Day 18 according to my video label)
and this was in Mid January, 2013... and it was darned cold in that coop! I was amazed when I got to watch her over the camera at just how 'not gentle' she often was in rearranging things!

0.jpg

and here is hatch day... just a snippet to show the peeps do get out and about, even though it is only about 20 degrees or so, she had her wings full with this bunch!

0.jpg

and here are the chicks at 4 or 5 days old out with Gracie for their first meal worm treat time...
it was either Jan 31 or Feb 1 and about 25 degrees F in the coop... I think I was feeling the cold more than them!
0.jpg

I've had hens do that in the nest boxes when I have 2 birds trying to go broody at the same time or lay in the same nest at the same time.

If that is what you mean, then yes, they are competing to go broody or for the same nest.

I've not seen it in the general yard though, so I don't know what you are experiencing if that is the case unless someone is trying to nest in a spot in the yard and the other is competing with her.

Lady of McCamley

Once I saw them do that right by the outside of the coop door, once in the coop in the corner, under the nesting boxes. The other time was in the nesting box

Once I saw them do that right by the outside of the coop door, once in the coop in the corner, under the nesting boxes. The other time was in the nesting box
It is probably competitive nesting/laying/brooding. Just watch. If it is outright aggression, you'll see evidence of that by pecking...but it just sounds like competitive brooding/laying to me.

Lady of McCamley

Gracie rearranging her eggs (Day 18 according to my video label)
and this was in Mid January, 2013... and it was darned cold in that coop! I was amazed when I got to watch her over the camera at just how 'not gentle' she often was in rearranging things!

0.jpg

and here is hatch day... just a snippet to show the peeps do get out and about, even though it is only about 20 degrees or so, she had her wings full with this bunch!

0.jpg

and here are the chicks at 4 or 5 days old out with Gracie for their first meal worm treat time...
it was either Jan 31 or Feb 1 and about 25 degrees F in the coop... I think I was feeling the cold more than them!
0.jpg

Sooo Cute!

So its ok for them to eat worms and such when only a few days old? I tried to give my mom some corn and she was teaching them to eat it and I was not sure if it was ok. Mine are about 5-6 days old also. She was also teaching them to eat bread... another treat.

Treats are okay for babies as long as it doesn't replace (memory here) 10% of their total feed? Maybe it's 20%.

You want the babies eating their chick feed with all the nutrients and not filling up on snacks.

So a little is fine, just not too much. (Sort of like human kids).

Lady of McCamley

Yep... and also, if I am giving them 'treats' it is things like crushed peanuts or crushed sunflower seeds, meal worms (small live ones or freeze dried), chopped scrambled eggs or fine chopped veggies... so even though it is 'treats' it is high protein, not junk food.
Agreed...and by junk food that would be the cracked corn scratch...high carb but low nutrient.

Although during really cold weather some crack corn is good to help them maintain heat....but you have to be careful as the kids will gobble the "candy corn" and not eat their dinner.
tongue.png

Lady of McCamley

Ya, I was trying to give it to mom and she called them over and shared! I was like "oh NO" eat your food..... Its ok for her to eat the medicated chick starter... right???

They are too cute. My first hatch! And in 20 degree weather no less!

Back
Top Bottom