Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

They never cooperate when you want them to! Though if they are teasing you may end up with one once the weather breaks! Be careful what you wish for though!
    I love having broodies, but I would rather not of had them all at once when it was zero degrees out! [​IMG]

2. LunarBug

LunarBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you very much fisherlady!

3. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Lol. That would be bad! I only have 2 brooder cages. And have more hens than nests. They usually only use 1 anyway, sometimes 2, more so lately, since the broody teasers stay in the favorite most of the day, even though they have 4! Silly birds! I just think it would be adorable to watch them raise the babies! That's my only real reason. Although I hate having a brooder, I'll still be incubating, & brooding inside.

4. AliceGee

AliceGee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia
    I've got a broody question if anyone can help please :) My silkies currently sitting on six eggs at about day 16. I've read somewhere that at day 18 the hen stops leaving the nest for food etc. but 4 days without food or water? :s really? She's a first time mum so she's a bit clumsy and rolls the eggs a bit when she gets back on so I'm concerned if she does keep getting off and on after day 18 she's going to ruining the chicks positioning in the eggs. Is that a problem or won't that matter?

5. Searsmom

Searsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Dandridge, TN
    Mine have started doing that. It's definitely agitating.

6. fisherlady

You're welcome!

7. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    We have those big plastic tubs u get at the dollar store as our nesting boxes. I chose to put them in the holes so that I can remove and clean them easily. Plus, they r easy to pick up and move with a chicken setting on eggs. I have an EE quarantined in one of the "cages" (that we built for a broody mommy) that is coming out today. So I'll scrub it down and prepare it, just incase. I have 3 that seem to be toying with the idea. I'd be perfectly happy with one. They are all Buff Orpington, so a usually broody breed, but mine are hatchery, which I've been told don't brood as well as whatever a non hatchery would be called. Lol

8. fisherlady

Some hens don't get up after day 18 or 19, but most of mine do, they just don't stay off of the nest for more than a minute or two at a time though... usually just to get a drink maybe and do their broody poo away from the nest. We give our broodies a small dish with food such as scrambled eggs or chopped cooked fish, mixed with seeds or chick starter... this allows them to snack a bit without getting up, and water is always close by.
    Her rolling the eggs is more likely intentional than clumsiness, the hens will frequently rearrange the eggs in the nest to aid in regulating their temperature and development rate. I have video of our silkie doing so 3 or 4 times a day (think spy camera! LOL). The hens don't seem to have problems with the positioning thing and in the last 40 or 50 eggs we have hatched in the past year with broodies we haven't had any pip at the wrong end and fail (never found one dead in a shell pipped at wrong end at least)

9. AliceGee

AliceGee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia

Great thanks a lot!! That's a fantastic answer! Makes me feel much more at ease :D

10. fisherlady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by