Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! So looks like I'm in for a looooong wait.... While the days may be lengthening, they're not warming up anytime in the foreseeable future :hit As for the fake eggs, they keep kicking the ping pong balls out of the nests. They were actually playing soccer with one the other day!

2. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Lol My Silkie won't even go in any nest boxes. So, guess I'm SOL for awhile.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Ooooh! it's hard for everyone! I don't have any broody hens (might never with Hamburgs), but I love to watch this thread and see what happens with all of your broody girls!

4. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My two broody girls

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You are always welcome to live vicariously with us...somebody always got somebody sitting on a nest to hatch something here.

Get yourself a little Silkie just for brooding. You'll have a broody then no doubt. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

6. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I have my first broody hen and I gave her some fertile eggs that I picked up locally this morning. I've hatched in an incubator but not under a hen. She's a Barred Rock (Betty)! I'm excited to see her and the little chickies running around together. Any and all advice is welcome [​IMG]

The Eggs
    [​IMG]

Betty
    [​IMG]

7. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop

Beautiful hens! Is it there first time being broody?

8. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky

That's what I do. I've never had a broody, just read everyone else's adorable stories. Lol

And what's so funny... I just got me a Silkie 2 weeks ago cause I was so jealous! Had her 15 days and finally got my egg from her today!!! Yay!

9. idontknowsquat

idontknowsquat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    I[​IMG]
    Lilly is a little mottled cochin and she decided to go broody GREAT we love it! My son said mom you think she'd let me stick a d'uccle egg under her? I said go try it. MOM she has after 2 days stolen 12 eggs from everyone!!!! So we rearranged to stop this stealing (what kind of mother example would that be to her brood after all) By the next day she was up to 18 !!!! So Lilly has now been put in isolation with an appropriate number of eggs (some will be adoptees) Waiting and poofing up as large as possible with each peek from us! [​IMG]

10. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I am really tempted! I want to be a bit more prepared for it first (we need another coop and run first), but I am just loving all the broodiness going on here! I love the pictures of the broody hens and their chicks when they hatch. They look so fierce and protective. It's just so awesome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by