Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Hello..just started reading...got my first broody hen...a Bo.
    I don't have a roo so I bought some hatching eggs...so this is day 0....so 21 days left.
    I had to move her into a broody kennel cause the others pecked her

2. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    [​IMG]
    I was leaving her eggs in the lower nestbox and she finally went broody!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] She had her first clutch last spring and hatched out 3 from her 5 eggs (pictured)[​IMG] But anyway I'm super glad she's broody again this year and she's on 6 of her eggs so I'm hoping she gets a bigger hatch rate and hope her second time around goes great as it should,she was a really protective and great mom.....can't wait for April 19th!!!!!!

3. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    she is gorgeous is she a silkie bantam?

4. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Yes she is(by the way all silkie's are bantam) but I can't wait till she hatches out and I also have a banty mix that's broody

5. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Oh how great my little silkie bantam just hatched 2 sweet little balls of fluff today and they are tiny! are two hens look quite similar. Oh please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was Silkie bantams and LF silkies here is a pic of my hen [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    LF silkie

[​IMG]
    Bantam silkie

[​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Chicken Obsessed

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Totally depends upon the hen. Some leave off almost immediately (what I would call bad mothers). I think the average is around 6 to 8 weeks of age...you will tell as it will be soon after they teach them to roost...sounds like Mom is still protective but starting to wean them. Some really broody mothers (like my Silkie) will continue to brood them until almost adult...ya know, some just have trouble cutting the apron strings.

All sounds and looks well with your little flock. Babies will be safe and integrated...your hen was a good momma.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    T Minus 4 days and counting til Broody Butt's eggs should start hatching.... Didn't have to kick her off her nest today, she ran out into the sunshine lol... Working out back and opened the door to the rabbit house I have her in.. She spent about 15 min out scratching around doing her poopy thing and right back in... This may be her last chance before they hatch!! Cant wait, I am so anxious to see her own egg hatch, I have yet to incubate one of hers so this is kinda cool.. The other nine matter too of course [​IMG]

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    That's about spot on... my BA kicked hers to the curb at 7 weeks...[​IMG]
    Poor babies, didn't deal with rejection easy for awhile..

10. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by