Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. DarynA146

DarynA146 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    south africa
    So when they hatch it would be better to leave them with their mother. Im just not clear on the fact that if i leave the chicks with the mother for ever she will not go broody again.

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

3. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you both for your responses!

I will have to browse through the Old Fashion Broody thread again it seems as well!

The eggs from my own flock I am hatching I am worried about integrating with the shipped eggs because the shipped eggs are pure bloodlines. If I cannot tell 100% who is who after hatch I risk keeping the wrong chicks - ie being able to tell who is Splash vs chicks that are single gene dominant white over black/silver.

Now i am thinking about incubating the shipped eggs first like you said but then swapping out half way through so the broody raises the shipped chicks and my own flock chicks only after I identify who I am keeping.

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

In the case of my broody, this will be her third broody cycle (I broke her second attempt and she started laying eggs again 1-2 weeks later) and she will be 1 year old on May 5th. She is like a super broody, and she came from bloodlines that aren't known for broodiness which is odd. She followed what you stated, she raised chicks for about 4-6 weeks and started laying eggs again about week 3-4 which was surprising to me she would start so early.

5. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    So here is my broody hen, sitting on nothing! She's been in the nest for about a week, she will come out once a day to eat but goes right back, This is her second time being broody, the first was broken by a move to my house (she is a rescue, barnyard mutt) but had lasted about three months prior to us getting her. I've decided to let her sit a clutch this time, assuming I can get some fertile eggs for her. Here's hoping she does well! I'm not sure if she will be a good broody, but she is determined to try.

6. celestialdreamer

celestialdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    This might be a stupid question, but has anyone had success letting a broody hatch eggs while in with the rest of the flock? I have a Mottled Java that wants to be a mama so badly, but I don't have anywhere else to put her separately at this point due to other poultry projects. I was thinking if she will actually sit on some eggs I could at least move her and her nest to a large dog crate before hatching? Would that work? If that is a realistic solution, at what point could she be returned to the flock with her babies? Our coop isn't big enough to separate her out while they are small so I would have to bring her into our garage.

7. fisherlady

Good luck! Hope you find eggs local... a handful of barn yard mixes should make hearty little ones for her to start out with. If you were in Central Pa. I would get some to you.... check at your local Tractor Supply or Feed store, if the employees themselves don't have chickens I bet they could put you in touch with someone local who does! They know who is in week after week getting feed and scratch!

8. fisherlady

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks! I hope I can find her some eggs. I have emailed everyone on craigslist, but no response so far. I do have to go to the feed store today, so I will ask there too. Someone offered me some duck eggs. Can a hen successfully hatch ducks? I'm new to the hatching thing, so wasn't sure if that would be a good idea or not. I didn't want to purchase expensive eggs, since I will probably rehome most of the chicks.

10. fisherlady

Yes, a hen can hatch duck eggs... though she may be a bit freaked when her little 'chicks' want to play in mud puddles! For your first experience brooding I would try for chicken eggs... plus, duck eggs take longer, so she would be setting for an extra week beyond how long she already will have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by