Broody Hen Thread!

I put some plastic Easter eggs under my hen today because I was afraid the non fertile real eggs would rot. In a few days when she is for sure committed, how do I get her to NOT peck and bust the real fertile eggs I give her? She was pecking the heck outta plastics!!

I put some plastic Easter eggs under my hen today because I was afraid the non fertile real eggs would rot. In a few days when she is for sure committed, how do I get her to NOT peck and bust the real fertile eggs I give her? She was pecking the heck outta plastics!!

she may have been pecking at them because they 'sound wrong', or because they are so light they move around too much... Maybe fill them with sand and duct tape them as smooth as possible, or replace with golf balls (pretty cheap @ walmart or any sporting goods store). If it is only going to be a few days till you get the real hatching eggs you can just put real eggs under her (2 or 3 should do) and switch them out every other day. The 'falsies' can then be done up as scrambled eggs and fed back to the birds.

she may have been pecking at them because they 'sound wrong', or because they are so light they move around too much... Maybe fill them with sand and duct tape them as smooth as possible, or replace with golf balls (pretty cheap @ walmart or any sporting goods store).  If it is only going to be a few days till you get the real hatching eggs you can just put real eggs under her (2 or 3 should do) and switch them out every other day.  The 'falsies' can then be done up as scrambled eggs and fed back to the birds.

She only did it for a few minutes. I couldn't quite get them under her because she has became possessed today. Lol So she pecked them a lot, but then scooted them up under her and was ok. I just can't let her peck real eggs like that. Maybe if I get the real ones under her well, they will be ok.

We tried plastic eggs to stop our girls from eating eggs a couple months back, but they just pecked it over and over because it was shiny (I think). We bought a ceramic egg that looks so real! Works.

oh,I get it now,Thanks
big_smile.png

Sad day for our eggs. I candled my eggs last weekend and did it again today. All the eggs are duds. There were just 5 (from a local garden store that wasn't positive about fertility), so I'm sad… but not in total shock.

Wandered over to the chicken supply store and bought some of their eggs. We have: Americana Blend (blue egg), Maran (super dark egg), and a Maran blend (green egg). PLUS: they have their store chickens laying eggs. They have a little Serama rooster and frizzled cochin. That's where they think these eggs came from. That will be fun if those hatch!

Ok. Wish me luck with these. Hoping they hatch/no roos. They are set to hatch around the 29th.

When my chicks hatch,what should I do with them .I mean do they need a brooder box with a lamp.Can the brooder box be placed in my chicken cage with other chickens?

When my chicks hatch,what should I do with them .I mean do they need a brooder box with a lamp.Can the brooder box be placed in my chicken cage with other chickens?
I presume you mean after your broody hen hatches them?

The broody hen will take care of them..no need for heat lamps or boxes...Mom does it all. (Your life is free from heat lamps!)

I do have mom and chicks in a safe location (broody hutch with grow out pen), but others integrate almost immediately into the flock.

Mother Nature has been doing it that way since there were chickens; and apparently well enough to keep us in chickens.

Lady of McCamley

Sad day for our eggs. I candled my eggs last weekend and did it again today. All the eggs are duds. There were just 5 (from a local garden store that wasn't positive about fertility), so I'm sad… but not in total shock.

Wandered over to the chicken supply store and bought some of their eggs. We have: Americana Blend (blue egg), Maran (super dark egg), and a Maran blend (green egg). PLUS: they have their store chickens laying eggs. They have a little Serama rooster and frizzled cochin. That's where they think these eggs came from. That will be fun if those hatch!

Ok. Wish me luck with these. Hoping they hatch/no roos. They are set to hatch around the 29th.
Wishing you much luck on this batch. Sorry to hear the first ones didn't work out.

Lady of McCamley (another NW Oregonian )

I presume you mean after your broody hen hatches them?

The broody hen will take care of them..no need for heat lamps or boxes...Mom does it all. (Your life is free from heat lamps!)

I do have mom and chicks in a safe location (broody hutch with grow out pen), but others integrate almost immediately into the flock.

Mother Nature has been doing it that way since there were chickens; and apparently well enough to keep us in chickens.

Lady of McCamley
thanks hey.Helps alot!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom