Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Must be contagious!! Looks like a Silkie is thinking hard about it. Poofing and growling at me!! Been in the nest most of the day!! :)

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I've got a Wyandotte/EE cross that is puffy and snarly and contemplating brooding...but my Silkie hasn't gone into a brood yet although she is due for another one real soon. She hasn't officially launched the two BCM's she hatched in January....good grief they are bigger than she is now at 14 weeks...time to cut the apron strings!

My fingers are crossed as the big poultry swap in my area is in 2 weeks and I NEED (uhm, well actually I guess want) to pick up some hatching eggs...I'm looking forward to adding Buckeyes and I'm thinking adding some Rhodebars as I would LOVE to add more heritage breeds to my flock and a good mouser.

...and maybe an Olive Egger or two...

...and maybe...oh dear...chicken math again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

Oh, and I have simply GOT to find me one of these...seriously cool...purple/plum eggs!!!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273406/purple-eggs/140

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Congratulations on your broody....Broody hens are amazing at how they can move eggs..they tuck under their wing or chin. I've not seen them doing it, but I know that is how they do it. I just see the results.

One thing you might consider is isolating her with only one nest choice so that she doesn't get confused or keep switching nests...that can happen to the detriment to the hatch.

Good luck on finding some eggs you want tomorrow and the Brahma settling into a good brood. [​IMG]
    Lady of McCamley

4. Hannahs Hollow

Hannahs Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Barnston Island BC

Hi! Long time no talk to!

I hear you about wanting more and chicken math. Since we last spoke harmony already had hatched out an Americana and a silky Americauna cross. Bo is currently sitting on 12 eggs of five different six different breeds.

you'll be happy to know that I am hatching out for someone else not myself yay!

you'll also be happy to know that DH has started on the bigger coop!

no more time to catch up at the moment I'll be reading though!
    Becky

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Good to hear from you....happy hatching [​IMG] (BTW...great idea...hatch for others! That's one way to have fun and limit the chickens!)
    Lady of McCamley

6. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    got any idea on these breeds?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

My guesses.
    You'll have better luck posting in the "What Breed or Gender" thread.
    Lady of McCamley

8. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Well today is day 20 and my little Silver Pencilled PR bantams started hatching today. She's sitting on 6, 2 have hatched that I could see, but one did not make it [​IMG] The one that is alive seems to be doing well though.

Hopefully more will hatch overnight and tomorrow. So exciting as it's my first hatch

1 person likes this.
  9. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    Quote: This is my silver welbar Paisley (cross between Welsummer and Barred Rock), she lays a dark brown egg with a pink wash, looks plum! I didn't have a pic of her egg, but I'll try to take one. Love colorful eggs!
    [​IMG]

10. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

These are my new chicks with their momma. She's a barred rock who goes broody every 6 months without fail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by