Broody Hen Thread!

I had a hen go broody a few days ago and going to try hatching for first time. She's on golf balls now, and I have seen it is suggested to swap them at night. This is better than swapping when she gets up to eat? Since I am going out of town the first part of June, I am not giving her eggs until next Wednesday so I can be back on the expected hatch day. I am going to move the other 6 chickens to another pen tomorrow so I dont have to worry about any shenanigans from them or food being not available for her while I am gone.

That all sounds good and advisable. You can swap them at night or during the daytime. A devoted broody won't care. She'll just glare at you and roll the eggs under her, clucking. If you are afraid of her pecking, you can add from the tail end pretty successfully. If she is at all nervous, night time is then better...but I've never had any issues giving eggs once a hen was truly broody. Taking eggs from her is another matter!
hide.gif

Good luck and keep us posted.
Lady of McCamley

My very 1st broody's babies will be 1 month old tomorrow. I went out to lock them up last night, & she is already back on the roost!!

The babies r sleeping in the floor of the coop under my Frizzled Cochin ROOSTER!!!!! Lmao!

I am going to try, but Abby wants to eat me anytime I get near. Is it safe to take the baby out from under her to check it out? I candled the eggs just a little bit ago and one is still chirping like crazy. The other four look developed, but no internal pipping or movement so I'm not sure what is going on with them.

Day 21 today! Out of 11 one has piped that I can see. I saw it at 9:30 this morning, it's still chipping away but good lord how long does it usually take?!
Still waiting to see if the others get going.

Day 21 today! Out of 11 one has piped that I can see. I saw it at 9:30 this morning, it's still chipping away but good lord how long does it usually take?!
Still waiting to see if the others get going.

it can take 12 hours to zip, sometimes as much as 24 hours. Often they rest for quite a while after the initial breakthrough pip before they even begin trying to zip. It is so hard to wait!
We have 3 hens hatching today, each have at least one or two chicks already hatched, more eggs pipped and a few eggs with nothing yet. So gonna be a frustrating day!

Back
Top Bottom