Broody Hen Thread!

My broody had chicks hatch on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sadly they died last night. They were acting fine yesterday evening, but found them dead this morning. Mama hopped out of the nest when I fed the rest of the flock this morning and I found their bodies. Don't know if she accidentally crushed them or if they were overheated. There is still one more egg in the nest & she's still sitting on it. Today is day 23. At what point do I give up on the other one hatching? Will she stop being broody or will I have to break her? Such a sad day.

I'd like to get them onto the floor, but Mama gets very fierce
somad.gif
when I go near her. I've packed straw — LOTS of straw — at a gentle slope from the nesting box to the floor, so if baby falls, he or she can't get hurt. I sort of hope baby falls into the straw. That way I can relocate their accommodations onto the floor like you've suggested. Thanks!
Another risk is if one falls out and gets chilled. Twice I found a one-day old chick that had fallen out of the (floor level) nest box and became chilled. They couldn't get back in and mama didn't save them--she stayed in the nest box. I put them back under her and then moved them to someplace safer. I would just tough it out and move her at night. Wear gloves if necessary but be careful the chicks don't get hurt by a frantic hen.

We're 3 days away from hatch day!

That's 5 eggs and one dummy egg on the left.

Both of my girls went broody at the same time so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to let them set. My hubby also said I could get one more hen...one hen=5 fertilized chicks, right? Chicken math! :)

Hi All,
I have a young hen, 28 weeks old, who is broody. I was out of town for 4 days and when I got home, I found her sitting on five eggs...not hers. They are likely fertile, but will be a barnyard mix. Should I let her sit on them or break her? I really just concerned that she is so young, really not fully grown herself. Thanks for the advice!

Thankyou
We do pretty well with 3 roosters and 21 hens but there are a couple of hens (each roo has a favorite) who end up with damaged back feathers and we often will put 'hen saddles' on them to help.  Trimming the roosters spurs help also.

I hope your flock develops as you want... it is a wonderful adventure to be able to plan a group and watch it grow into what you hoped it would be.
Thank you :) it's very peacefull watching them and I can't wait for baby's. I don't expect any till next spring as mine as not laying yet they are just 3 months

Hi All,
I have a young hen, 28 weeks old, who is broody. I was out of town for 4 days and when I got home, I found her sitting on five eggs...not hers. They are likely fertile, but will be a barnyard mix. Should I let her sit on them or break her? I really just concerned that she is so young, really not fully grown herself. Thanks for the advice!

We just had a pullet who was hatched last September finish raising her clutch of 4 and she did great. I was really nervous also since she went broody the middle of April.
If she seems determined and you are OK with mixes then I would let her try. Just plan ahead for incubator and brooder access in case she gives up.

We just had a pullet who was hatched last September finish raising her clutch of 4 and she did great. I was really nervous also since she went broody the middle of April.
If she seems determined and you are OK with mixes then I would let her try. Just plan ahead for incubator and brooder access in case she gives up.

Thank you! I figure it will take quite a while to break her anyway, so I might as well let her go. That bunch of chickens is for eating eggs, so a mix is just fine wih me.

I had a very determined broody banty, friends who wanted silkie chicks and so I put some silkie eggs under her. My question is when can I give away the chicks? I'd like to give her at least a week with them (silkie chicks are so small) but the friends want the chicks as soon as possible so they can bond. I would hate to take the chicks away too soon and have the banty go back to being broody. She will really need to get back with the rest of the flock and start putting some weight back on. Any advice would be appreciated!
You can give them as soon as they hatch and dry out. Remember big hatcheries ship day old chicks to feed stores all the time. The chick has everything it needs to survive if it has warmth (heat lamp), food and water, which your friends can and seem to want to give.

If possible, it would be nice to save one chick for mom, or she may go right back to being broody again and want to start the process all over.

Waiting longer helps the chicks become acclimated to the outdoor weather faster, and they grow faster and stronger as chickens if raised by a broody hen...but that is not your goal as you have raised them for other people who want to hand raise them. For them to imprint with the chick, the sooner the better.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: you might also consider getting a chick or two that you want to keep from the feed store to prevent your banty from starting all over again with immediate loss of her chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom