Broody Hen Thread!

I'm not sure at what I'm looking at...is that the hen you don't want on top of the nest with the broody inside?

If that is the case, I would have more room for the broody. 

Is that the only 2 nesting sites?

Ideally, the broody should have that whole little corner for herself, blocked off from the others, so she can nest, get up once a day at will to eat/drink/and relieve without access to another nesting site or others able to access her.

Lady of McCamley
That's right. I let her out as much as possible. They won't use that other nest box. I have the wire over her to keep the other birds from getting in. Otherwise this happens.

Update on my Faverolles eggs-- I candled a couple tonight, and am pretty sure both are developing. I would have been able to tell more about them if it had been darker, but I was out feeding horses anyway, so decided to take a look. I only looked at two, because I didn't want to disturb the hen too much.

The air cells looked really huge, though, which I don't really understand. If it had been dry when the eggs were sitting in the nest waiting for a hen to go broody, I could see that they might lose a lot of moisture, but it has been very humid here. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

I am learning a lot! My broody pullet is still on 6 eggs. Luckily, I marked them. Today, while off the nest, another hen laid an egg in her spot. (I was able to get the new one out.) then, she went into another nestbox! I moved her, and all is well. She USED to jump into my lap for treats. Now, she puffs up when I'm close, but doesn't peck at me. I can't wait to have my lap hen back.

Call me crazy but I just went out to discover that my favorite silkie/winner of the most devoted broody award, was broody so I took one of my serama eggs from my incubator and stuck it under her! Is there anything I should know about using broody hens?
(P.S. It is day 1 for the eggs and it's my first ever time attempting to hatch chicks with a bator and/or broody hen!)

Back
Top Bottom