Broody Hen Thread!

So I've been reading this thread with interest I have 4 Welsummer chickens and they just started laying eggs about a week ago Its supposedly not normal for them to go broody, but one did right away We don't have any roosters so theres no chance of them hatching Poor dear ..... Sitting all day and nothing will come of it. I also have 7 Welsh Harlequin ducks and two of them are drakes. I think in the springtime should one of the chickens go broody again i will let her sit on some duck eggs and see what happens That should work, right?

Whatever you do, don't breed frizzle to frizzle. One frizzle gene gives a really nicely feathered bird--broad feathers bending backwards. Two frizzled genes give you a mess of a bird. Their feathers are thin and break easily. The feathers don't keep the bird warm enough. They are really hard to keep alive. I had a double copy frizzle Cochin in the kitchen all winter because she was bald from feather breakage. A proper frizzle caries on frizzle gene (Ff), and a smooth feathered bird carries no frizzle genes (ff). A double copy frizzle (often called a frazzle) has two copies of the frizzle gene (FF). The feathers will fall apart so badly they will only have the center quill left so they are basically naked except for wires. It is really hard on them physically to try to maintain their body heat. They are quite fragile.

I had heard that but I don't have any frizzled roos, so it shouldn't be a problem. I had thought frizzled feathers was recessive and they had to get a gene from each parent... like blue eyes. I am now incubating eggs from my adult frizzle hen and her smooth feathered roo and if I could get frizzled offspring from them I would be thrilled!

I would love to keep in touch with you and see some of your flock. Please post pictures. I have a frizzle bantam cochin hen and I just hatched another that I am trying to figure out if it is a pullet or cockerel. One thing I dont quite get is how you prevent 2 frizzles from mating. I heard it is a bad combination, you have to breed a frizzle to a regular non frizzle. Have you heard of that?

I used to live in Portland Oregon many years ago. In fact it has been about 48 years ago we moved to Calli. I was 11. We lived on 22nd street across from Westmoreland Park. Dont know if I spelled that right. Boy that makes me feel old! Lol It was pretty there and I so miss the green. We are in a drought here and it is hard to keep things green. How do you like living there and does it rain all the time?

Here is a picture of Hope, girl or boy?

Hope sure looks like a boy to me! Sure is cute!!

The winter is pretty rainy but not too cold usually. I try not to think about it!! Summers are really nice! My sister used to live a block away from Westmoreland Park... they just completely changed the park to make the stream healthier for fish, we haven't been there yet but hope to see it soon. I do have some photos of this bunch on my camera, I'll try to get them uploaded soon!

I had heard that but I don't have any frizzled roos, so it shouldn't be a problem. I had thought frizzled feathers was recessive and they had to get a gene from each parent... like blue eyes. I am now incubating eggs from my adult frizzle hen and her smooth feathered roo and if I could get frizzled offspring from them I would be thrilled!

The frizzle gene is dominant and is expressed whenever there is a copy of the gene. Your frizzle hen should produce 50% frizzled and 50% smooth. There are a few exceptions--if she is a double-copy frizzle (carrying two frizzle genes) she will produce all frizzles when bred to a smooth. There are some modifying genes that inhibit the expression of frizzle, so once in a while--very rarely--the smooth may be genetically frizzled. If you breed a bird that appears (phenotype) to be smooth but is genetically (genotype) frizzled to a frizzle, you will end up with 25% the dreaded double-copy frizzle, 50% the normal frizzles and 25% smooth.

Last edited:
The frizzle gene is dominant and is expressed whenever there is a copy of the gene. Your frizzle hen should produce 50% frizzled and 50% smooth. There are a few exceptions--if she is a double-copy frizzle (carrying two frizzle genes) she will produce all frizzles when bred to a smooth. There are some modifying genes that inhibit the expression of frizzle, so once in a while--very rarely--the smooth may be genetically frizzled. If you breed a bird that appears (phenotype) to be smooth but is genetically (genotype) frizzled to a frizzle, you will end up with 25% the dreaded double-copy frizzle, 50% the normal frizzles and 25% smooth.

Thank you for clearing that all up for me. I have several of my frizzle's eggs in the bator so I will be excited to see how they turn out!

My hens eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday :) I was mad at my hen for sneaking eggs away, as we don't need more chickens, but I decided there is nothing I can do anyways, so I may as well be excited about the adorable chicks! :)
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
After about ten years of having chickens (and ducks and, most recently, turkeys) we had our first broody birds this summer. What an event this has been! It was like a cascade effect. Mrs. T (a BB White) started the trend late in August, setting up shop in a grassy area under some trees. We debated long and hard about those eggs, but we'd seen our BB Bronze doing the deed with her on many occasions. He's all that and a bag of chips, strutting around our property like the king of all he surveys. Lucky for us he's docile (it is probably the head noogies we give him) because he's one big boy. We never planned to breed them. They were destined for the dinner table... but everyone fell in love with Mrs. T because she is very sweet and my husband ended up in the hospital in November (then again in January, February and March
sad.png
) and Mr. T missed his date(s) with destiny. I knew enough about BB birds to know that they don't typically breed naturally because of their size, but I guess no one told them. We'd raised many babies over the years, but never got around to hatching out our own. It seemed ridiculous to try to hatch those turkey eggs, but sometimes the maddest schemes are the most worthwhile. I went looking for advice and found so much on this forum. I will forever be grateful. You folks have such a wealth of knowledge! Since Mrs. T wasn't being consistent, I went and got a very basic incubator, brought in the eggs, read at length on this forum, scrutinized and candled, and just went for it. What did we have to lose? While we were at it, we snagged a few duck eggs and popped them in as well. After about a week of trying to remember to turn the eggs, I gave up and purchased the automatic turner. lol It was a learning experience for the whole family. As we went along, we removed eggs that were obviously not progressing and in the end had 4 of the original 6 or 7 turkey eggs and 2 of 3 duck eggs. Both ducks eggs hatched, much to the delight of my teenage daughter who adores ducks. They are now about four weeks old, as precious as can be, and really need to be out of my house! haha The drake is a Rouen and we assumed both ducklings would be as well since we have two others. We were surprised to find one Rouen and one crossbreed Rouen/Pekin (she's too cute for words). We'd had more fun with these ducklings than we've ever had with all the ducks that came before. We kind of hate to move them outside because our ducks have grown increasingly disinterested in human contact where once they had been very friendly. Strawberries bring them running but otherwise they roam around the property in a tight little cluster until the lead drake breaks off to chase the dog or us. We named him Gary after the duck in the film The Pacifier. In addition to the ducks, we successfully hatched three poults. We lost one after a couple of days, but the other two are as lively and friendly as can be. I love the way they sing.

In the meantime... one of our lovely light Brahmas (my husband's favorite breed) went broody. Seriously, seriously broody. We now know she's one of those overly-dedicated hens that will let herself go while sitting on a nest. Thanks again to this forum, we knew what to do to get her to eat and stay healthy. We have a variety of breeds here and our rooster is a stately red Araucana without much in the way of tail feathers. He's always been so nice, we just kept him. I honestly didn't think he was breeding with any of the hens the cheeky little devil.. The nest Brahma Momma had claimed for her own had at least three different types of eggs in it. She hatched five chicks and for the life of me I don't know what they are aside from the ones that look like Araucanas (we have several hens). She went from that nest to another nest, intent on hatching more. We eventually put a stop to it because she's a lovely, friendly bird and we didn't want her to kill herself over these eggs. We brought them in, put them in the second incubator I bought (I'm doomed now, aren't I?), but none hatched. So we had our little mixed batch of chicks and our Impossible Poults (I love turkeys!) and our adorable ducklings and it seemed like we'd had incredible success. When the turkey gave us another 13 eggs, we couldn't resist. Into the incubator they went. Meantime, in the long grass behind the house... a secret nest. We really don't know how they pulled this off since my daughter counts the birds every night, but one afternoon while she was outside, she saw movement in the grass. Lo and Behold four dinky, buff coloured Araucana chicks... with their ISA Brown mama, Mini Boo Boo (named after our fearless, mice-slayer Boo Boo the Chicken Raptor... but that's a story for another day)..It goes without saying that I told the kids to find all the nests and pick up the eggs because by then it was September and September in Michigan is unpredictable when it comes to weather. In no time we've doubled our flock and I don't know what I'm going to do if any of those chicks are roosters. Eat them?

Our clutch of 13 turkey eggs was a complete disaster. We had eggs explode--something I would not have been prepared for had I not read about it here--and sadly we had what seemed to be developing poults stop developing, A learning experience. Everyone that has hatched is going great so you can't blame me for what I did yesterday when I discovered Mrs. T sitting on another 8 eggs...

Kyrrimar, welcome to the wonderful world of broodiness! It is an addictive thing! I'm glad the thread was able to provide you with helpful information...good luck with your future broodies and hopefully you can check in here once in awhile to help with anyone else who is in a similar situation with their flock.

Well my broody hens duck eggs are peeping.
wee.gif
It seems like she has been sitting forever. I am sure she is happy they are peeping. I will get pics once they hatch.

Well my broody hens duck eggs are peeping.
wee.gif
It seems like she has been sitting forever. I am sure she is happy they are peeping. I will get pics once they hatch.
It is hard to wait that extra week! I'm glad your eggs are peeping! Our two ducklings hatched yesterday under our broody duck... crazy adorable!!

Back
Top Bottom