Broody Hen Thread!

A little tough to see but what do you all think? Fertile?

Anyone have any experience with ducklings with eye problems? My broody hen hatched 6 ducklings so far and one ducklings eye is sealed shut on one side and looks swollen but could just be normal size when the eye is shut. Here is pics

Bad eye

Good eye

Flush it with saline and put triple antibiotic ointment in the eye. Make sure it is the ointment that DOES NOT have the pain reliving stuff in it. Do that twice a day for 5 days then once a day till it clears up completely. You will see a big difference in just a couple days. It will look gross with the ointment and all but it will be better and better everyday.

Anyone have any experience with ducklings with eye problems? My broody hen hatched 6 ducklings so far and one ducklings eye is sealed shut on one side and looks swollen but could just be normal size when the eye is shut. Here is pics

Bad eye

Good eye

Flush it with saline and put triple antibiotic ointment in the eye. Make sure it is the ointment that DOES NOT have the pain reliving stuff in it. Do that twice a day for 5 days then once a day till it clears up completely. You will see a big difference in just a couple days. It will look gross with the ointment and all but it will be better and better everyday.

Thank you, I will do that.

So my miss super broody is sleeping in the nest box again. She is normal during the day, maybe slightly more vocal, but she will try to eat your hand if you take her out of the nest box at night. We can't do more chicks this year, I still have eight pullets/chicks of varying ages from our three earlier hatches, so we will have to try and break her. I have never had any success breaking her before, she is a determined chicken momma. She has also tried to start "crowing" in the last three days. I have heard of crowing hens, but hadn't seen one. She doesn't sound just like a roo, or nearly as loud, but that is definitely what she is doing. Sticks her neck out and "scrawk, scrawk!" Very different from her normal ba-gawk noises. Do any of your broodies exhibit this behavior? Maybe the crowing and broodiness could be linked, like a hormone issue? She is such a pain of a hen, but a great mom. She was a rescue, and has been one thing after the other ever since we picked her up over a year ago. The only hen I have that will peck a person, but terrified of any chicken that she didn't raise herself, broody like she thinks she is a silkie, protective of her eggs to the point of being psycho, and now she is crowing. Good thing I love her and she is such a good momma!

Well i havent posted in forever... But I finally have exciting news.... We have two broodies. Both our silkie girls are having the privledge to hatch two eggs. Since it will be cold when they hatch we dont want them to have to many chicks. Im very excited and cant wait for more babes.

One another note our current babes are doing great. I was so worried when hope started having seizures but she pulled through. These to had a crazy hatch and im so happy penny saved them from there mom a duck who was crushing them.

Here are the babes about a month ago

So my miss super broody is sleeping in the nest box again. She is normal during the day, maybe slightly more vocal, but she will try to eat your hand if you take her out of the nest box at night. We can't do more chicks this year, I still have eight pullets/chicks of varying ages from our three earlier hatches, so we will have to try and break her. I have never had any success breaking her before, she is a determined chicken momma. She has also tried to start "crowing" in the last three days. I have heard of crowing hens, but hadn't seen one. She doesn't sound just like a roo, or nearly as loud, but that is definitely what she is doing. Sticks her neck out and "scrawk, scrawk!" Very different from her normal ba-gawk noises. Do any of your broodies exhibit this behavior? Maybe the crowing and broodiness could be linked, like a hormone issue? She is such a pain of a hen, but a great mom. She was a rescue, and has been one thing after the other ever since we picked her up over a year ago. The only hen I have that will peck a person, but terrified of any chicken that she didn't raise herself, broody like she thinks she is a silkie, protective of her eggs to the point of being psycho, and now she is crowing. Good thing I love her and she is such a good momma!
I have never had a problem breaking a broody. She goes into a "Hanging" wire bottom cage. No bedding---just food and water. I feel the cage being off the dirt helps alot. I keep a broody hen in this cage usually about 4 days, your might need a week--LOL. I have had hens that make different sounds----but othing like a crow either.

Back
Top Bottom