Broody Hen Thread!

Emmm, i guees buying a broody hen is difficult!! Do oyu want to get her while she is broody or buy a broody breed??

I'm looking for a broody that has at leat brooded once and is a proven good broody. She doesn't have to be broody at this time. I will giver her a forever home and LOOOVE her. I am focused on sustainable farming practices and do not have an incubator. She will have free range of my 15 acre property in TN along with the rest of my flock.

I'm looking for a broody that has at leat brooded once and is a proven good broody. She doesn't have to be broody at this time. I will giver her a forever home and LOOOVE her. I am focused on sustainable farming practices and do not have an incubator. She will have free range of my 15 acre property in TN along with the rest of my flock.
Awesome!!! I wish i could give you (i have about 150 hens; and 130 of them are AWESOME broodies) but i live in South Africa...

Jealous!!
tongue.png
. just curious, what type of chickens do you own?
LOL...emmm, i own a lot of breeds but the ones that are most common (and my favourite) is Barnyard Mix!!! THEY ARE BEITUFULL!!

(typos)

When ever I want some good brooding hens, I get some from a friend that has a bunch of game mixes. She's had them so long they probably aren't really games anymore, just birds adapted to this area, but they are fantastic mothers. I've crossed them with my D'uccles and gotten some excellent mamas from that cross. I do let my full size hens brood some times, but the are not as reliable.

Hi All!
My silkie hen went broody about 3.5 weeks ago - I saw that she had 3 eggs under her and let her sit. After about 4 days, I checked on her - and she had 10 eggs under her (little egg-napper from my other hens!)
She has been the most dedicated sitter - I have never seen her get up from her spot in her maternity ward, and barely saw any food disappear so I started bringing mash right to her chin, which she did eat up.
Today there is a bunch of peeping underneath her! I am trying so hard not to mess with her, but I did tap on one egg at the edge of her fluff and it peeped back!
So excited and I am hoping for the best! I watched her for hours this morning, once she almost did a somersault, tucked her head under her body and almost flipped over?! It's all new to me, she is from my batch of April babies, can't believe she's going to be a momma soon :)
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom