Broody Hen Thread!

OK....
she had 4 days between the 2 that have already hatched, and the other 8 eggs under her are in different stages of development due to the fact that another hen was laying eggs under her. I didn't realize that till I went to move her. I left all the eggs when I brought her in.Won't she sit there till they all hatch?
I have her separated from everyone else, and in the mud room. She has food and water right there next to her, so she doesn't need to go anywhere. I have been scooping her poo out several times a day too.
So, are the rest not going to hatch?
Oh noo, I don't have an incubator.
Thank you

I never delt with dif. stages of egg development she should stay until she feels that every egg has hatched out.

Last edited:
I'm so happy! Mama Lucy laid her first egg since going broody. She sat for 4 weeks and has had the chicks for 6 weeks. 10 weeks is a long time to go without a precious egg each day!

hit.gif
I was candling eggs to see what is going on under that hen, and I dropped 2 of them. They cracked when they hit the flashlight. I did try to seal the cracks with wax, as I have read some people have done....
hit.gif
I should have just left them alone. Well, they looked close to hatchicg, only thing visible was the air cell....Hopefully they will still hatch

hit.gif
I was candling eggs to see what is going on under that hen, and I dropped 2 of them. They cracked when they hit the flashlight. I did try to seal the cracks with wax, as I have read some people have done....
hit.gif
I should have just left them alone. Well, they looked close to hatchicg, only thing visible was the air cell....Hopefully they will still hatch
fl.gif
sending good hatching vibes your way

Too Cute!! i got video of one breaking free of the shell yesterday
celebrate.gif

Question: When candling....if you turn the egg and the contents sort of looks like it is floating, is that good or bad? The aircell stays in the same place, but the embryo is moving a little with turning.

Back
Top Bottom